Pitot Tubes and Static Pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Pitot tubes in measuring pressures in fluid dynamics. The lower part of the tube measures stagnation pressure, while the top tube measures static pressure. The question arises about how the top tube is able to measure static pressure when there is no airflow inside. It is explained that the pressure just outside the hole in the top is the static pressure at that point in the flow, and inside the hole, the pressure must be the same for there to be no flow, making it possible to measure the static pressure.
Abhishek Jain
Hey so I am learning physics on Khan academy and they had a video on Pitot tubes:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/fluids/fluid-dynamics/v/venturi-effect-and-pitot-tubes

I had a question. I understand that the lower part of the pitot tube in the video is measuring the pressure experienced when the air is not moving (i.e. stagnation pressure). I also understand that the top tube is measuring static pressure. However, I don't understand how it is doing that? From my understanding, static pressure is the pressure at a given point during the flow of fluid? And total pressure = static pressure + dynamic pressure? Am I misunderstanding what static pressure is? If not, how is it measuring the static pressure? There is no airflow in the tube so wouldn't it be the same as the lower one then (but then there is no air going inside vs the lower tube where as much air as possible is going in)? I am getting very confused the more I try to understand it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have air flowing over the tube, the pressure just outside the hole in the top will be the static pressure at that point in the flow. Just inside the hole, in order for there to be no flow in or out, the pressure must be the same as just outside of it, and is therefore the static pressure.

Likes Abhishek Jain

What is a Pitot Tube?

A Pitot tube is a device used to measure fluid flow, specifically the velocity of a fluid, in a pipe or duct. It was invented by Henri Pitot in the 18th century and is commonly used in aeronautics to measure airspeed.

How does a Pitot Tube work?

A Pitot tube consists of two tubes - one facing directly into the flow of the fluid, and one facing sideways. The forward-facing tube measures the stagnation, or total, pressure of the fluid while the sideways-facing tube measures the static pressure of the fluid. The difference between these two pressures is used to calculate the velocity of the fluid.

What is static pressure?

Static pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid that is not moving. It is measured perpendicular to the direction of the fluid flow and is affected by factors such as gravity and the density of the fluid.

What is the difference between Pitot pressure and static pressure?

Pitot pressure, also known as stagnation pressure, is the sum of the static and dynamic pressures of a fluid. It is measured by a Pitot tube facing directly into the flow of the fluid. Static pressure, on the other hand, is only affected by the fluid's weight and density and is measured by a Pitot tube facing sideways to the fluid flow.

What are the applications of Pitot tubes and static pressure measurement?

Pitot tubes and static pressure measurement are commonly used in a variety of industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and HVAC. They are used to measure airspeed in airplanes, flow rates in pipes, and pressure differentials in ventilation systems. They are also used in weather instruments and to monitor fluid flow in industrial processes.