Dynamic pressure and pitot tube

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of reversing a pitot tube's direction in airflow. It is determined that the measurement of pressure would be affected by the presence of vortices and the location of the probe in the flow field. There is no clear answer for what would be measured if the pitot tube is turned around 180 degrees.
david316
Hello,

Normally a pitot tube points in the direction of airflow so that it measures static and dynamic airflow. If it points in the opposite direction my assumption is that it will not measure the dynamic pressure but will only measure the static pressure.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If reversed, the end of the pitot tube would sense pressure lower than ambient static pressure. Any vortice flow at the end of the pitot tube would also be a factor.

rcgldr said:
If reversed, the end of the pitot tube would sense pressure lower than ambient static pressure. Any vortice flow at the end of the pitot tube would also be a factor.

Ignoring the effects of vortices flow would it be lower by dynamic pressure amount?

david316 said:
Ignoring the effects of vortices flow would it be lower by dynamic pressure amount?
It would be different, but I'm not sure of all the effects involved.

david316 said:

You can't ignore those effects. There will be a wake produced but a rear-facing Pitot tube and it would not measure static pressure in general. It wouldn't differ by the dynamic pressure, either. If you want all three, your best bet is still the old standard of the Pitot-static tube.

Consider that I have a tube with air moving through it. If I have a right angle pitot tube in the airflow so that the opening of the pitot tube is inline with the airflow the stagnation pressure should be the static pressure plus the dynamic pressure.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pitot-tubes-d_612.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagnation_pressure

So if I turn the pitot tube around 180 degrees so its not facing the flow there is no sure answer of what I will actually measure? It sounds like static pressure combined with some other effects?

Last edited:
Do the experiment and find out . Water manometer made from clear plastic tube and a bent straw pitot is all you need .

david316 said:
Consider that I have a tube with air moving through it. If I have a right angle pitot tube in the airflow so that the opening of the pitot tube is inline with the airflow the stagnation pressure should be the static pressure plus the dynamic pressure.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pitot-tubes-d_612.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagnation_pressure

So if I turn the pitot tube around 180 degrees so its not facing the flow there is no sure answer of what I will actually measure? It sounds like static pressure combined with some other effects?

No, there is no easy answer for what you will measure. Inserting the probe affects the flow field. When you face it backward, you are placing the opening in the location experiencing the greatest effects of the presence of the probe in the flow. Like I said, the opening would then be in the probe's wake. What it measures will depend on the nature of the wake and therefore the geometry of the probe and flow conditions.

Thanks

1. What is dynamic pressure and how is it measured?

Dynamic pressure is the force exerted by a fluid on a surface due to its motion. It is measured using a device called a pitot tube, which has a small opening facing the direction of fluid flow. The difference between the pressure measured at this opening and the ambient pressure is the dynamic pressure.

2. How is a pitot tube used to measure airspeed?

A pitot tube is used in conjunction with a static port to measure airspeed. The pitot tube measures the total pressure of the air, which is a combination of the static pressure (ambient pressure) and dynamic pressure. The static port measures only the static pressure. By subtracting the static pressure from the total pressure, the dynamic pressure can be determined, which is directly proportional to airspeed.

3. Are there different types of pitot tubes?

Yes, there are different types of pitot tubes that are designed for specific applications. Some common types include the standard pitot tube, which is used for general airspeed measurements, and the Prandtl pitot tube, which is used for high-speed applications. Pitot tubes can also vary in size, shape, and material depending on the specific needs of the measurement.

4. How accurate are pitot tube measurements?

The accuracy of pitot tube measurements depends on various factors such as the design of the pitot tube, the condition of the aircraft, and external factors such as wind and turbulence. However, with proper calibration and maintenance, pitot tubes can provide accurate measurements with an error margin of less than 5%.

5. Can pitot tubes be used in other applications besides measuring airspeed?

Yes, pitot tubes can be used in a variety of applications where fluid flow needs to be measured, such as in water pipes or hydraulic systems. They can also be used to measure the speed of other fluids, such as water or gas, by adjusting the design of the pitot tube to match the properties of the fluid being measured.