Pitting corrosion in spur gears

In summary, the speaker is looking for help understanding how a professional calculation package calculates the safety factor for pitting corrosion in spur gears. They have not been able to figure it out and believe it may be a condition monitoring issue. They ask for anyone with knowledge on the formulas used to provide assistance. Another person suggests asking the software vendor for more information.
daidalos1000
Greetings,

I decided to use a professional calculation package for machine design procedures in order to speed up the design process. This package somehow calculates a safety factor for pitting corrosion for spur gears. However I haven't been able to figure out how this is calculated. So far I thought that this can't be calculated and that it is a condition monitoring issue to diagnose it before failure. Does anyone have any idea on what formulas are used for pitting corrosion safety factors?

Thanks for reading

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ask your software vendor how they do it. They should at least be able to give you a reference for their approach.

1. What is pitting corrosion in spur gears?

Pitting corrosion in spur gears is a form of localized corrosion that causes small, crater-like pits on the surface of the gear. It occurs when the protective layer on the surface of the gear is compromised, allowing the metal underneath to be exposed to corrosive agents.

2. What causes pitting corrosion in spur gears?

Pitting corrosion in spur gears is primarily caused by exposure to corrosive substances such as water, acids, and salts. It can also be accelerated by factors such as high stress levels, temperature fluctuations, and improper lubrication.

3. How can I prevent pitting corrosion in spur gears?

To prevent pitting corrosion in spur gears, it is important to use materials that are resistant to corrosion, such as stainless steel or alloys. Regular maintenance and proper lubrication can also help to prevent pitting corrosion. Additionally, avoiding exposure to corrosive substances and controlling stress levels can also help to prevent pitting corrosion.

4. What are the consequences of pitting corrosion in spur gears?

If left untreated, pitting corrosion in spur gears can lead to severe damage and failure of the gear. It can also cause increased noise and vibration during operation, leading to decreased efficiency and potential safety hazards.

5. How can I detect pitting corrosion in spur gears?

Pitting corrosion in spur gears can be detected through regular visual inspections and non-destructive testing techniques such as ultrasonic testing or magnetic particle inspection. Signs of pitting corrosion include small pits or holes on the surface of the gear, discoloration, and roughness.