The Mysterious Origin of Pizza Hut

• Thread starter tumor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Origin
In summary, Pizza Hut started out as two brothers who borrowed $600 to start their business. They sold peanuts on the street and became the largest pizza chain in the world. Their story is really interesting and their products are great.
tumor
Hey guys!Stupid question but I need to know what is going on.
I went to the mall and passed by Pizza Hut restaurant and i started wondering, who the hell came up with the name Pizza Hut for a restaurant? :confused:
Why Hut? do they make huts from pizza in Italy?
Why not Pizza Pants, or Pizza Socks?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pizza Apartment was already taken?

I suspect it was related to the first ones all being free-standing buildings...a hut where you can buy your pizza. It loses the impact when they are just counters in a mall foodcourt.

Here's their story of how they started:
http://www.pizzahut.com/about/

Last edited:
Pizza Hut is the family pizza place.
As a matter of fact, we are rooted in family -- literally. Two brothers, mom and $600 turned into the recipe for the world's largest pizza company in 1958, when a family friend with the idea of opening a pizza parlor approached the two college-age brothers in Kansas. The concept was relatively new at the time and the brothers quickly saw the potential of this new enterprise. Borrowing $600 from their mother, they purchased second-hand equipment and rented a small building on a busy intersection in Wichita, Kansas. The result of their efforts was the first Pizza Hut and the foundation for what would become the largest and most successful pizza restaurant in the world.
http://www.pizzahut.com/about/

Oops, Ivan got that link in before I noticed...nevermind my edit.

I like stories like this.

I have done a lot of work for a large snack food company in NC. It began around the turn of the century when the company's founder was paid a debt in peanuts; a truckload of them! Since this was the only way to recover his lost funds he sold the peanuts on street corners, and a company was born.

Oh Jeeez! my english is so bad that i forgot that hut=small building and not the head cover.sorry :blushing: :redface:

Anyway; Jack in the Box sounds funny/creepy

Last edited:
Whoops. That does make a difference. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
I like stories like this.

I have done a lot of work for a large snack food company in NC. It began around the turn of the century when the company's founder was paid a debt in peanuts; a truckload of them! Since this was the only way to recover his lost funds he sold the peanuts on street corners, and a company was born.

Would that be Planters peanuts?

...I guess its okay.

Lance Snack Foods.

oooh, Lance has some good stuff!

When I finished one trip - their new potato chip line which has many wonderful and exotic flavors - I was one big zit with really bad breath when I left.

Edit: Jalapeno with Blue Cheese! mmmmmmm...

Last edited:
Mmmm..sounds good, looks good

Man, I love getting trashed at Pizza Hut. Especially during the all you can eat lunch buffet. Speaking of trashed, guess who's DRUNK! :p

Oh wait, that was Buffalo Wing w/ Blue Cheese
http://www.lancesnacks.com/Products/Thunder.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Oh wait, that was Buffalo Wing w/ Blue Cheese
http://www.lancesnacks.com/Products/Thunder.asp

So they're the one who started the peanut butter and crackers. Entrepreneurs are one creative bunch. Interesting history

Last edited by a moderator:
They are really great folks as well; one of my all time favorite customers. I certainly prefer their company's culture over certain, to remain un-named competitors.

I started their fudge line last time. That job about put me in a diabetic coma! :yuck:

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread tumor. I only meant to mention this as an aside.

Tumor! What's your first language? (I'm assuming English is a second language for you since you said it was so bad... :biggrin:)

I had Pizza Hut pizza not too long ago for the first time in years, and I was surprised at how yummy it is!

I worked for Pizza Hut during a short period 2 years ago. Then I worked 6 months in Telepizza (I guess that there's no Telepizza in the USA). It was nice when, some days, they gave me a portion of pizza when I finished my work :tongue2:

Last edited:
Tsunami said:
Tumor! What's your first language? (I'm assuming English is a second language for you since you said it was so bad... :biggrin:)

My first language is polish,i was born there.Maybe my writing and grammar is not that bad, but my pronunciation is just terrible. :cry:

check said:
Man, I love getting trashed at Pizza Hut. Especially during the all you can eat lunch buffet. Speaking of trashed, guess who's DRUNK! :p

I'm getting there, it is after all, saturday night. Needto get me a Brita filter though. :yuck:

tumor said:
My first language is polish,i was born there.Maybe my writing and grammar is not that bad, but my pronunciation is just terrible. :cry:

Heh, Polish is my 2nd language...I think... Well I suppose I learned Polish before English, but my English is much better than my Polish. Yes, it's all very confusing.

franznietzsche said:
I'm getting there, it is after all, saturday night. Needto get me a Brita filter though. :yuck:

Lucky you. Most of my friends are stayin in tonight...so I'm watchin JFK, drinking tea and playing with my spaceflight sim. Woo... but I had me a good night last night.

Anyway, good luck with your drunken endeavours.

Hey Polak!Na Zdrowie! :biggrin: We polish are known from partying, but you have to study OK! no more vodka tonight!
As to the languages,my english sucks and i will never get it right but what is funny/scary I'm starting to forget my polish.Maybe brain tumor,alzheimer :cry:

Last edited:
tumor said:
Hey Polak!Na Zdrowie! :biggrin: We polish are known from partying, but you have to study OK! no more vodka tonight!
As to the languages,my english sucks and i will never get it right but what is funny/scary I'm starting to forget my polish.Maybe brain tumor,alzheimer :cry:

Study can wait, vodka now!

You can't spell Success without the... oh wait, Vodka and Success don't have a single common letter.. meh.

Smurf said:
You can't spell Success without the... oh wait, Vodka and Success don't have a single common letter.. meh.

But rum and success bot have a u for the second letter!

Ok, I give up, i can't come up with another analogy and its driving me insane.. ahhhhhh

This means you concede defeat?

I will never be defeated... was I challenged?

you're very challenged. :tongue:

Ok, my choice of weapon...
HOCKEY!

I used to play hockey. Used to be a decent goalie. Though that was mostly out of being young and not knowing that getting hit by the puck while un-padded was hazardous for my health. I'mmuch more cautious now.

Ahhh ha, but can you compare to my BC Canadian-honed Skillz! (I've never played hockey in my life - how bout fencing?)