1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planar graph

1. Apr 28, 2003 #1
    What is the definition of a planar graph and which properties does it have ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2003 #2
    a planar graph is one which can be drawn in a plane with no self-intersections. i believe the simplest nonplanar graph is the inscribed pentagram.

4. Apr 28, 2003 #3
    Well...I know that...
    But isn't there an "abstract" definition which explains what a planar graph is without using the concept of "plan" ?
    Only relations between the components of the graph...

5. Apr 28, 2003 #4
    there are some theorems about when a graph is planar or not. but you want to do what now? define a planar graph without using a plane?

6. Apr 28, 2003 #5
    Aaa...those theorems sound interesting...that's what I need...
    Where can I find them ?
    (I want to define a plane using a planar graph )

7. May 2, 2003 #6
    See the book of F. Harary. He gives a complete review starting from the famous theorem of Kuratowski. The booklet by O. Ore does also deal a bit with planarity of graphs.

8. May 3, 2003 #7
    If only I could find those books...anyway...I fount something on the Internet...but it's so complicated...:frown:

9. May 5, 2003 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook