Planar Intersections (Answer Check)

• Thread starter spoc21
  • Start date
In summary: Just explaining the facts would be enough. If you are artistic, you might draw a simple picture illustrating how such pairwise intersections might look, but nothing accurate is probably required.
spoc21

Homework Statement

Solve the following systems and interpret the result geometrically
x - y - 2z - 3 = 0
2x - 3y - 3z + 15 = 0
x - 2y - z + 10 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x - y - 2z - 3 = 0…………….(1)
2x - 3y - 3z + 15 = 0……….(2)
x - 2y - z + 10 = 0…………..(3)

first multiply equation (1) by -2
getting:

2x-2y-4z-6=0

Use elimination:

2x-2y-4z-6=0
-(2x - 3y - 3z + 15 = 0)
y-z-21=0

y-z=21

Elimination:

x-y-2z-3=0
-(x - 2y - z + 10 = 0)

y-z-13=0

==> y-z=13

Use elimination:

y-z=+21
y-z=13

Use elimination

(y-z=21)
-(y-z=13)
0=8

The answer is 0=number..This means that the system is inconsistent, and the planes never intersect.

I would really appreciate it if someone could take a look over my working, and point out any mistakes.

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your working looks right to me, so the system is inconsistent like you said. However, be careful. In this case every pair of planes does intersect in a line. You can see this because parallel planes have proportionate coefficients for each independent variable and different constant terms. What is the actual (more precise) geometric interpretation?

Tedjn said:
Your working looks right to me, so the system is inconsistent like you said. However, be careful. In this case every pair of planes does intersect in a line. You can see this because parallel planes have proportionate coefficients for each independent variable and different constant terms. What is the actual (more precise) geometric interpretation?
Thanks Tedjn

So, there is an intersecting line? because I'm really confused; isn't 0=8 a false statement, meaning that the planes are neither parallel, nor they intersect. Is this an example of planes intersecting in pairs? could you please elaborate a little.

Thanks! :smile:

Yes, the planes do intersect in pairs. Most books have a picture of this occurring but where the three planes do not intersect together at any point or line, so that the system has no (simultaneous) solution.

Tedjn said:
Yes, the planes do intersect in pairs. Most books have a picture of this occurring but where the three planes do not intersect together at any point or line, so that the system has no (simultaneous) solution.

Thank you.

Just one more question: when it says to interpret the result geometrically, do I have to graph it? or is it just stating the facts that we discussed above?

I believe just explaining the facts would be enough. If you are artistic, you might draw a simple picture illustrating how such pairwise intersections might look, but nothing accurate is probably required.

FAQ: Planar Intersections (Answer Check)

What are planar intersections?

Planar intersections refer to the points or lines where two or more planes intersect with each other in three-dimensional space. This can also be described as the set of common points between two or more planes.

What is the importance of studying planar intersections?

Studying planar intersections is important in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and computer graphics. It helps us understand the relationships and properties of intersecting planes, which can be applied in solving geometric problems and creating visualizations.

How do you determine the type of planar intersection?

The type of planar intersection can be determined by analyzing the angle between the intersecting planes. If the angle is acute, the intersection will be a point. If the angle is right, the intersection will be a line. If the angle is obtuse, there will be no intersection.

What are the methods for finding planar intersections?

There are several methods for finding planar intersections, such as using algebraic equations, graphing techniques, and vector operations. Each method has its own advantages and can be applied depending on the given problem.

Can planar intersections exist in more than three dimensions?

Yes, planar intersections can exist in any number of dimensions. In three dimensions, we commonly refer to them as points or lines, but in higher dimensions, they can be described as hyperplanes or higher-dimensional objects.

Back