Planar Motion — Maximum acceleration of a crate up an incline before tipping over backwards

In summary: Good work.In summary, the maximum acceleration before tipping occurs is 0.62 m/s^2, assuming that the block does not slip. To determine this, we need to find the maximum acceleration at which slipping will occur and the maximum acceleration at which tipping will occur, and choose the smaller value to ensure that the block will not tip or slip. This involves considering the forces and torques acting on the block and using equations to calculate the maximum acceleration.
Vladimir_Kitanov
Homework Statement
Picture
Relevant Equations
Nothing special
1.PNG

Correct answer is (b) 0,620 ms2

My attempt:
FBD
2.PNG

Equation 1. ∑Fx=0=−ma−Wsin⁡(15)+f
N=Wcos⁡15
f=Nμs=379,03N

Equation 1. ma=f−Wsin⁡15
15a=379,03−203,1
a=2,20ms2

Equation 2. ∑MG=0=−Nx+f1,5
x=0,75m

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the condition for tipping over to occur?

Lnewqban said:
x need to be more then 0,5

And what is x?

Why did you draw the point of action for the normal force they way you did?

For the crate to tip, a non-zero net torque is needed. I don't see a torque equation. Your value for the acceleration of 2.20 m/s2 is the value at which the crate will start sliding assuming that it does not tip. If the crate tips before it starts sliding, the 2.20 m/s2 cannot be the answer. You need to find another value for the acceleration at which the crate will tip assuming that it does not slip and pick the smaller of the two values as the answer. As @Lnewqban asked,
Lnewqban said:
That's a key issue to address.

On edit:
Your answer
Vladimir_Kitanov said:
x need to be more then 0,5
is a non-answer because x cannot be greater than 0.5 m.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
I don't seem to understand well slipping and tipping.
I will learn more about that and then i will be back here.
:)

Vladimir_Kitanov said:
I don't seem to understand well slipping and tipping.
I will learn more about that and then i will be back here.
:)
In order for the block to tip over, two things need to happen: a moment about the edge, and enough static friction, so the block does not slide rather than tip over.
Determining both things is the core of this problem.
You now that friction depends on normal force and coefficient of friction.
You also know that any force that has a lever or distance respect to the pivoting edge, induces a moment.

Ok i did it.
To solve this we need to find acceleration when slipping will occur and acceleration when tipping occur.
And choose smaller so it will not tip or slip.

Likes Lnewqban
Vladimir_Kitanov said:
Ok i did it.
To solve this we need to find acceleration when slipping will occur and acceleration when tipping occur.
And choose smaller so it will not tip or slip.
Yes, that's what I suggested. Please post your work for finding the maximum acceleration before tipping occurs.

Likes Lnewqban and Vladimir_Kitanov
kuruman said:
Yes, that's what I suggested. Please post your work for finding the maximum acceleration before tipping occurs.

2.PNG

W - weight = ##W = m*9,81 = 784,8##
N - normal force On left edge because it will tip over that edge and all weight will be there.
##N = W\cos15 = 758,1##
f - friction

Equation 1##\sum F_x = 0 = ma - f + W\sin15##
##\sum M_G = 0 = -N0,5 + f1,5## --> ##f = 252,69##

From equation 1 we now find a.
##a = 0,62##

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 66
Likes Lnewqban
Why will the block tip if there is no unbalanced torque acting on it? Do you understand torques? What do they do?

kuruman said:
Why will the block tip if there is no unbalanced torque acting on it? Do you understand torques? What do they do?
Sum of all torques is 0. And it will not tip.
When we set normal force to be on edge we find maximum acceleration at at witch crate will not tip.
If acceleration is bigger then 0,62 it will tip.

Vladimir_Kitanov said:
View attachment 305589

W - weight = ##W = m*9,81 = 784,8##
N - normal force On left edge because it will tip over that edge and all weight will be there.
##N = W\cos15 = 758,1##
f - friction

Equation 1##\sum F_x = 0 = ma - f + W\sin15##
##\sum M_G = 0 = -N0,5 + f1,5## --> ##f = 252,69##

From equation 1 we now find a.
##a = 0,62##
You still seem to be tangling up the two cases.

In post #1, you successfully found the max acceleration assuming that it will slip rather than tip.
But then you wrote
Vladimir_Kitanov said:
Equation 2. ∑MG=0=−Nx+f1,5
where I assume you used the f calculated from the first case, but you should now be assuming that it will tip rather than slip, so that f value is irrelevant. Take moments about the tipping point instead.

In post #11, you made the converse error: found f assuming tip but applied that value to the slip case.

haruspex said:
In post #11, you made the converse error: found f assuming tip but applied that value to the slip case.
That all is just tip case.I did not post solution for slip case.
For slip case i get different value for friction.

Vladimir_Kitanov said:
That all is just tip case.I did not post solution for slip case.
For slip case i get different value for friction.
Sorry, you are right. I agree with your answer.

1. What is planar motion?

Planar motion refers to the motion of an object in a two-dimensional plane, such as on a flat surface or an inclined plane.

2. What is maximum acceleration?

Maximum acceleration is the highest rate of change in an object's velocity, or how quickly it can increase its speed, before reaching a limit.

3. How is maximum acceleration calculated?

In the case of a crate moving up an incline, maximum acceleration can be calculated by considering the weight of the crate, the angle of the incline, and the coefficient of friction between the crate and the incline.

4. What is the tipping point for a crate on an incline?

The tipping point for a crate on an incline is when the force of gravity pulling the crate down the incline is greater than the frictional force keeping the crate in place, causing it to tip over backwards.

5. How can the maximum acceleration of a crate up an incline be increased?

The maximum acceleration of a crate up an incline can be increased by decreasing the angle of the incline, increasing the coefficient of friction between the crate and the incline, or by reducing the weight of the crate.