Find Point of Intersection for Planes in 3D Space

In summary: Using substitution, you can get a value for one of the variables and then solve for the other one. Once you have the values for s and t, you can plug them into the original equations to find the point of intersection. In summary, to find the point of intersection of the two lines x=2t+1, y=3t+2, z=4t+3 and x=s+2, y=2s+4, z=-4s-1, you can solve for s and t using the given equations and then plug those values into the original equations to find the point of intersection.
miglo

Homework Statement

find the point of intersection of the lines x=2t+1, y=3t+2, z=4t+3 and x=s+2, y=2s+4, z=-4s-1
then find the plane determined by these lines

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea how to find the point of intersection for those two lines
but i figured that I am going to need that in order to find the plane, since ill need a point and the normal vector to find the plane, and i can just find the normal vector by using the cross product on the two vectors that are parallel to the lines
but I am stuck on the very first part, how do i find the intersection?

Physics news on Phys.org
miglo said:

Homework Statement

find the point of intersection of the lines x=2t+1, y=3t+2, z=4t+3 and x=s+2, y=2s+4, z=-4s-1
then find the plane determined by these lines

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea how to find the point of intersection for those two lines
but i figured that I am going to need that in order to find the plane, since ill need a point and the normal vector to find the plane, and i can just find the normal vector by using the cross product on the two vectors that are parallel to the lines
but I am stuck on the very first part, how do i find the intersection?

Since 2t+1=x and s+2=x you can say that 2t+1=s+2. Can you see what to do now?

solve for one of the variables?

miglo said:
solve for one of the variables?

Sure. You can use y and z to make two more equations. Solve them for t and s. You've got three equations in the two unknowns s and t.

1. How do you find the point of intersection for two planes in 3D space?

To find the point of intersection for two planes in 3D space, you need to solve their equations simultaneously. This can be done by setting the equations equal to each other and using algebraic methods to eliminate variables until you are left with the coordinates of the point of intersection.

2. Can two planes in 3D space intersect at more than one point?

No, two planes in 3D space can only intersect at one point. This is because two planes are determined by three points and if they intersect at more than one point, it would mean that they share more than three points which is not possible.

3. What does it mean if the two planes in 3D space do not intersect?

If the two planes in 3D space do not intersect, it means that they are parallel to each other. This can happen if the planes have the same slope or if they are in different planes and do not intersect at any point.

4. Is there a visual way to find the point of intersection for two planes in 3D space?

Yes, there is a visual way to find the point of intersection for two planes in 3D space. This can be done by graphing the equations of the planes and visually identifying the point where they intersect on the graph.

5. Can the point of intersection for two planes in 3D space be a negative coordinate?

Yes, the point of intersection for two planes in 3D space can have negative coordinates. This means that the point lies in a different quadrant or direction than the positive coordinate system used to represent 3D space.