Plastic formation in cast-iron pan

In summary, the conversation discusses accidentally reconditioning a cast-iron pan by leaving it on the stove and discovering a new non-stick coating formed from slowly heating canola oil. The coating is similar to a plastic film and can be removed by scraping and re-oiling the pan. The conversation also mentions potential blending or bonding between the coating and fresh canola oil and references to resources on seasoning cast-iron pans.
Tom Lever
Yesterday morning, before work, I cooked eggs in canola oil in a cast-iron pan. Afterward, I rinsed out the pan and heated it to dry it. By mistake, I left the stove on. When I returned home, in addition to my house being smokey and smelling like IHOP, my cast-iron pan was lined with a tight-clinging plastic-y substance. I spent a while scraping out the pan, washing it, rinsing it with canola oil, and re-oiling it. Afterward, though, I was rewarded when I discovered that I had accidentally reconditioned the pan! There was not the slightest stick when I cooked some chicken!

Questions:
1. What substance(s) were formed from slowly heating the canola oil over time?
2. If the substance forming the new non-stick coating on the pan is a plastic, will adding canola oil at room temperature cause blending or bonding with or to the coating?
3. To what temperature does the cast-iron pan need to be raised to cause blending or bonding between the coating and fresh canola oil?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
http://www.researchgate.net/publication/231274927_Thermal_Cracking_of_Canola_Oil_Reaction_Products_in_the_Presence_and_Absence_of_Steam

Something much like a plastic film had formed in a teflon-lined pan. Nothing would remove it. No detergent. No scraping with abrasive cleaner. The film had only formed once or twice, so I am not fully sure the conditions that formed it. Oil was being used for pan-drying, but other conditions I do not remember.

1. How does plastic form in a cast-iron pan?

Plastic formation in a cast-iron pan is a result of a process called polymerization. This occurs when the fats and oils used in cooking undergo a chemical reaction with the iron in the pan, forming a thin layer of plastic on the surface. This process is also known as seasoning.

2. Is the plastic in a cast-iron pan safe for cooking?

Yes, the plastic formed in a cast-iron pan is safe for cooking. It is a natural and non-toxic substance that is created through a chemical reaction between the fats and oils used in cooking and the iron in the pan. This plastic layer also helps to prevent food from sticking to the pan.

3. How long does it take for plastic to form in a cast-iron pan?

The process of plastic formation in a cast-iron pan can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months, depending on how frequently the pan is used and the type of cooking oils and fats used. The more the pan is used, the faster the plastic will form.

4. Can the plastic layer be removed from a cast-iron pan?

Yes, the plastic layer in a cast-iron pan can be removed. This can be done by scrubbing the pan with a mixture of salt and oil, or by using a metal spatula to scrape off the layer. However, it is not recommended to remove the plastic layer as it helps to protect the pan and improve its non-stick properties.

5. How can I maintain the plastic layer in my cast-iron pan?

To maintain the plastic layer in your cast-iron pan, it is important to properly clean and dry the pan after each use. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive scrubbers, as this can damage the plastic layer. It is also recommended to periodically re-season the pan by adding a thin layer of oil and heating it in the oven.