Plate-mesh-plate capacitor double charge?

In summary,the extra mesh has no impact on the uniform field between 2 plates, but if you are trying to charge the mesh, it requires a circuit connection and then it is just the case of two capacitors in series with the plate separations defined by the placement of the mesh.
stevan
need advice please...

what happened when I insert additional mesh between plates inside capacitor's dielectric ?

first I charge between plate 1 (-) and the mesh (+). I know this no problem from this link http://personal.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Jefferies/perfcap.html

after fully charged, I try to charge plate 1 (-) and plate 2 (+)...

is there any charge between plate 1 and plate 2 ?

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi stevan. This sounds like a good homework-type question, so should be posted in the homework sub-forum.

What do you think will happen?

NascentOxygen said:
Hi stevan. This sounds like a good homework-type question, so should be posted in the homework sub-forum.

What do you think will happen?

nooo :D
I'm 32 years old programmer and I just curious about this problem

because I read that if I use mesh for capacitor, it don't affect much to the capacity

so I think what if I add more plate to get more charge...

if I change the mesh with a plate too, I know nothing happened when I do the second charge...because it's same as 2 capacitors in series...

1--------| |------2------| |-----------3

so when I charge first capacitor (pin 1 negative, pin 2 positive),I can get charge,
but when I charge again both capacitor at once (pin 1 negative, pin 3 positive), no current will flow because the voltage is equalbut this time, the center plate is mesh, so in this design, I see 2 capacitor in one...
plate 1 - dielectric - mesh
plate 1 - dielectric - plate 2

I know, if I charge plate 1 (-) and mesh (+), then charge mesh(+) and plate 2(-), I can get double charge...

but this time I charge plate 1 (-) and mesh (+), then charge plate 1 (-) and plate 2 (+)...
I don't know if I can charge plate 1 and plate 2 when the mesh already chargedmaybe you judge me from my bad english :D, sorry, because english isn't my daily language

Last edited:
stevan said:
what happened when I insert additional mesh between plates inside capacitor's dielectric ?
Taken in isolation, this question is easy to answer ...

The uniform field between 2 plates is almost unaffected if you insert into the dielectric a conducting plate of negligible thickness so that it lies parallel to the plates. The conductor in this case simply joins together points already of equipotential, so nothing is changed by inserting that third plate.

thank you sir.
so, with configuration plate 1 - mesh - plate 2,
when at first I charge plate 1(-) and plate 2(+), there is current flow to the plates until the voltage is equal with the power source...

but, if I first charge plate 1(-) and mesh (+), and then charge plate 1(-) and plate 2(+)...

I can't simulate this case in multisim or other electronic simulator program...because there is no capacitor with mesh inside :D

maybe someone can give me other discussion that have correlation with this case ?

If the mesh is unconnected, then it does not have an impact as explained above. But if you are talking about charging the mesh, then it requires a circuit connection and then it is just the case of two capacitors in series with the plate separations defined by the placement of the mesh.

stevan said:
so, with configuration plate 1 - mesh - plate 2,
when at first I charge plate 1(-) and plate 2(+), there is current flow to the plates until the voltage is equal with the power source...

but, if I first charge plate 1(-) and mesh (+), and then charge plate 1(-) and plate 2(+).
No current would flow here because there exists zero potential difference now, assuming you are using the same battery, so the extra capacitor would remain uncharged.

It sounds to me that for your experiment to work as you envisage the "mesh" you have in mind is going to be of such open weave that under a microscope it would resemble wire netting as seen on a garden fence, with voids so wide as to allow through a significant proportion of flux lines between the outer plates. Otherwise, you'll find a tight-weave mesh will act no differently to plates.

In your case with the mesh, I think you would model it simply as a capacitor that has in parallel to it a pair of capacitors, the pair themselves identical and in series. :smile:

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
That's exactly what I mean sir :)
yes I use the same battery for first and second charge, and I disconnect the mesh first before I do the second charge.

I try to add more charge through the holes in the mesh, so the outer plates can act as "another" capacitor.
maybe distance between plate 1 and mesh is 1 mm, distance between mesh and plate2 is 1 mm.The holes in the mesh about 0.5 mm x 0.5 mm...maybe the ratio area of wires and the holes in the mesh is 50:50...so I think that's not too tight.

I use mesh because try to get more charge by create more electric field through the holes of the mesh...

I'll just add that I doubt that you will get more capacitance this way. The capacitance between the open mesh and ground plate will be less than if you used plates, and the presence of the charged mesh capacitor will reduce the charge added to the uppermost plate when you attempt to charge it. I'd guess you'll find no difference at all, sorry.

1. What is a plate-mesh-plate capacitor double charge?

A plate-mesh-plate capacitor double charge is a type of capacitor that consists of two parallel plates separated by a mesh layer. This design allows for double the amount of charge to be stored compared to a regular parallel plate capacitor.

2. How does a plate-mesh-plate capacitor double charge work?

A plate-mesh-plate capacitor double charge works by storing electric charge on the two parallel plates. The mesh layer between the plates allows for an increase in surface area, which increases the capacitance and allows for a higher charge to be stored.

3. What are the advantages of using a plate-mesh-plate capacitor double charge?

The main advantage of using a plate-mesh-plate capacitor double charge is its increased capacitance compared to a regular parallel plate capacitor. This allows for a higher charge to be stored in a smaller space, making it useful for compact electronic devices. It also has a lower voltage drop and higher power handling capabilities.

4. How is a plate-mesh-plate capacitor double charge different from other types of capacitors?

A plate-mesh-plate capacitor double charge differs from other types of capacitors in its design and structure. It has a mesh layer between the plates, which increases the capacitance and allows for double the amount of charge to be stored. Other types of capacitors, such as ceramic or electrolytic capacitors, have different materials and construction methods.

5. What are the applications of a plate-mesh-plate capacitor double charge?

A plate-mesh-plate capacitor double charge can be used in a variety of electronic devices, such as amplifiers, filters, and power supplies. It is also commonly used in radio frequency circuits and high voltage applications. Its compact size and high capacitance make it useful in portable electronic devices.