Play with a handyboard from MIT?

• Thread starter AstroRoyale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mit
In summary, the handyboard from MIT can't be used with a high current motor unless you want to fry the board. You can use a mosfet to control the motor, or use a high voltage / high current Darlington arrays.
AstroRoyale
Anyone ever play with a handyboard from MIT? From what I gather, you can't use a high current motor with the stock handyboard unless you want to fry board, as it will only handle up to~600mA or so. How could one use a handyboard to control a high current, high speed ducted fan motor.

Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

I'm not familiar with the product, but can't you just use it to drive a power amp or relay?

The handyboard uses pulse-width modulation for speed control of the motors, I was wondering if a relay is fast enough to handle it. I guess a solid state relay might be the better option here? What about a ULN2004A High Voltage / High Current Darlington Arrays, how much current can they handle?

Just use a mosfet. I am assuming the fan you are driving is for a model aircraft? Try to find a mosfet rated around 50V and 20 amps or more. also, if your pwm driver doesn't have both current source and sink, you need to build a driver for it since mosfets are controlled with capacitance. This can be done easily with a pnp and npn transistor. If you need more current you can run multiple mosfets in parallel.

The microcontroller on the handyboard pwm signal goes to a TI L293D motor controller h-bridge, which is essentially the same thing as in the link posted previously as I gather. The problem is that this chip can only handle 600mA. There is a similar chip that can handle up to 1.2A, but that isn't enough either. I guess I could hijack the output signal from the mc to go to a solid state relay to switch on the motor which is separately powered. Solid state relays can be switched directly from the mc, without the need of a transisor correct?

AstroRoyale said:
The microcontroller on the handyboard pwm signal goes to a TI L293D motor controller h-bridge, which is essentially the same thing as in the link posted previously as I gather. The problem is that this chip can only handle 600mA. There is a similar chip that can handle up to 1.2A, but that isn't enough either. I guess I could hijack the output signal from the mc to go to a solid state relay to switch on the motor which is separately powered. Solid state relays can be switched directly from the mc, without the need of a transisor correct?

No, that isn't a good idea. Solid state relays were not made to switch that quickly, some even have internal delays that wait a few seconds to turn on or off a load. Best bet is to use mosfets, almost all commercial and hobby speed controls use them. You can drive the mosfet(s) off of the H-Bridge if you want, just be sure to place a resister ~20 ohm, between it and the gate of the mosfet.

Great, thanks!

1. What is a handyboard from MIT?

A handyboard is a microcontroller board designed and produced by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) for educational use. It is a small, portable, and easy-to-use device that allows students and enthusiasts to learn and experiment with programming, robotics, and electronics.

2. How does a handyboard work?

A handyboard is essentially a small computer that can be programmed to perform various tasks. It consists of a microcontroller, sensors, motors, and other electronic components. The user can write programs using a programming language such as C or BASIC and transfer them to the handyboard using a USB cable. The handyboard then executes the program and interacts with its sensors and motors to perform the desired actions.

3. What can I do with a handyboard from MIT?

There are countless possibilities with a handyboard! You can use it to build robots and other electronic projects, create games and interactive installations, or even conduct scientific experiments. It is a versatile tool that can be used to learn about programming, electronics, and robotics in a fun and hands-on way.

4. Is a handyboard suitable for beginners?

Yes, a handyboard is designed for educational use and is suitable for beginners. It comes with easy-to-use software and a simple programming language, making it accessible to people with little or no experience in programming or electronics. It is also a great tool for educators to introduce students to these concepts in a practical and engaging way.

5. Where can I get a handyboard from MIT?

Handyboards can be purchased directly from MIT or from various online retailers. They are also available in many educational institutions, so you may be able to borrow one from a school or library. Additionally, there are many online resources and communities dedicated to the handyboard where you can find information and support for using it.