What is the significance of the x in the chemical formula (Mo6S9-xIx)?

• Thread starter lo2
  • Start date
This probably means that only a few of the compounds in the series are actually stable enough to count as "real" compounds.In summary, the inorganic molecular nanowires (Mo6S9-xIx) are composed of a combination of Iodine and Sulfur atoms, with x representing the varying ratios between the two elements. These nanowires can have a diameter of 0.9 nm and can be hundreds of micrometers long. However, due to the large difference in size between Iodine and Sulfur atoms, only a few of the compounds in this series are stable enough to be considered "real" compounds.
lo2
On

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanowire"

This sentence.

For example, inorganic molecular nanowires (Mo6S9-xIx) have a diameter of 0.9 nm, and can be hundreds of micrometers long.

What is (Mo6S9-xIx) I know it is a chemical formula for a molecule but what do those x'ses mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
lo2 said:
On

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanowire"

This sentence.

For example, inorganic molecular nanowires (Mo6S9-xIx) have a diameter of 0.9 nm, and can be hundreds of micrometers long.

What is (Mo6S9-xIx) I know it is a chemical formula for a molecule but what do those x'ses mean?
It appears to be written Mo6S9-xIx. In that case, the wire would contain x atoms of I and 9-x atoms of S.

For example, 6 I atoms would yield Mo6S3I6. It probably has to do with molecular packing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The index "x" is used to refer to a series of compounds with the same elements (and likely, identical crystal structures) but different stoichimetric ratios between the elements. Very likely, you will find that the original source of any study on these compounds will specify the range of values that x was made to take in the experiment. You can then plug in those values and calculate the compositions as geoff has shown above.

Extra note: Since Iodine is about 30% bigger than Sulfur, I don't imagine you can vary x by a whole lot (maybe a range of 1 or 2) without introducing large strains that will destabilize the wire.

1. What does "Please explain this to me" mean?

When someone says "Please explain this to me," they are requesting a detailed explanation or clarification of a topic or concept that they do not fully understand.

2. Is "Please explain this to me" a polite way to ask for help?

Yes, saying "Please explain this to me" is considered polite and respectful when asking for help or clarification. It shows that you are genuinely interested in learning and are willing to listen to the explanation.

3. How should I respond to someone who asks me to "Please explain this to me"?

You should respond by providing a clear and concise explanation, using simple language and examples to help the person understand the topic or concept better.

4. Can I use "Please explain this to me" in a professional setting?

Yes, it is appropriate to use "Please explain this to me" in a professional setting when you need clarification on a topic or concept related to your work. It shows that you are willing to learn and improve your understanding.

5. What should I do if I still don't understand after someone explains something to me?

If you still do not understand something after someone has explained it to you, it is okay to ask follow-up questions or request a different explanation. It is important to communicate openly and ask for further clarification until you have a clear understanding of the topic or concept.