Please explain to me 'why' light is part defined by velocity

In summary: Light is just one part of the spectrum of electromagnetic radiation, which encompasses a wide range of wavelengths and frequencies. Regardless of our perception or ability to detect these different forms of radiation, they all have measurable properties and effects. In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why light is assumed to have velocity and how this differs from other forms of information or data. It also explores the implications of this assumption and how other entities may be involved in the transmission of light. Additionally, it raises the question of how our understanding of light may be different if we were a different species with different sensory abilities.
Giles OBrien
Rhetorical Question: I have never understood why light (primarily a form of information or data) is often assumed to have velocity.

We would never in any other process, attempt to give the quality/definition of speed to any other form of information and rather look to the platform or mechanism.

Did we just assume light could travel on its own, without ever considering that there was some other entity involved?

And just to round off this 'devil's advocate' opener; what would light truly be to us in scientific terms, if we were a highly evolved race of Earthworms i.e. blind by nature?

Science news on Phys.org
I don't understand your objection; speed of sound...?

Giles OBrien said:
Rhetorical Question: I have never understood why light (primarily a form of information or data) is often assumed to have velocity.

We would never in any other process, attempt to give the quality/definition of speed to any other form of information and rather look to the platform or mechanism.

Did we just assume light could travel on its own, without ever considering that there was some other entity involved?

And just to round off this 'devil's advocate' opener; what would light truly be to us in scientific terms, if we were a highly evolved race of Earthworms i.e. blind by nature?

Welcome to the PF.

What is your educational background? That will help us tune our responses to your level of understanding of science & physics. :smile:

Giles OBrien said:

Light is not assumed to have a velocity. It was determined to have a measurable velocity as the result of careful observations made of the planets in the solar system following the invention of the telescope in the 17th century.

The astronomer Cassini was the first to notice that light did not travel instantaneously, but unfortunately, he did not pursue the implications of his observation further. The Danish astronomer Roemer made observations about light similar to those of Cassini, and did explore the matter further:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Rømer

Roemer was the first scientist to estimate the speed of light, although his estimate was about 25% lower than the currently measured value:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rømer's_determination_of_the_speed_of_light

Water waves and sound waves are readily observed to travel at finite speeds.

It's not clear what you mean by "other entity".

We can't "see" things like radio waves or X-rays, but we know they exist.

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of tiny particles called photons, which have both wave-like and particle-like properties.

2. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

3. How is light defined by velocity?

Light is defined by velocity because it is the fastest known phenomenon in the universe. It travels at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum, which is known as the speed of light.

4. Why is velocity important in understanding light?

Velocity is important in understanding light because it helps us to understand how light behaves and interacts with other objects. Light's velocity affects its wavelength, frequency, and energy, which are all important factors in how we perceive and use light.

5. How does light's velocity compare to other objects?

Light's velocity is significantly faster than most objects in the universe. For example, sound travels at a speed of approximately 343 meters per second, while light travels at a speed over 870,000 times faster. In fact, light is so fast that it can travel around the Earth 7.5 times in just one second!