Solving for Velocity Vector Magnitude: 7 m/s and x-Comp: 3 m/s, Find y-Comp"

• Thread starter thompsonjscot
  • Start date
In summary, "Please help finding y" is a phrase used to seek assistance in locating or obtaining something. People may ask for help finding y because they are unable to do so on their own or they may need additional resources. The best way to help someone find y depends on the situation, but could include providing resources or support. There is no specific method for finding y, but strategies such as research and seeking advice can be helpful. To improve your skills in finding y, practice problem-solving and critical thinking, familiarize yourself with resources, and seek feedback. Staying organized and persistent can also lead to successful outcomes.
thompsonjscot

Homework Statement

the magnitude of the velocity vector is 7 m/s and the x comp is 3 m/s what is the y comp

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

sorry if i sound like an idoit i can't rember this from class at all

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Pythagoras Theorem.

Use the Pythagorean theorem.

Pythagoras'* Theorem

No need to apologize, it's completely normal to forget things from class. Let's break down the problem step by step.

First, we need to understand what a velocity vector is. A velocity vector is a mathematical representation of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of motion, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude (or size) of the velocity.

In this problem, we are given the magnitude of the velocity vector (7 m/s) and the x-component (3 m/s). The x-component represents the horizontal component of the velocity vector, or the speed in the x-direction. To find the y-component, we can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (in this case, the magnitude of the velocity vector) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (the x and y components).

So, we can set up the equation as follows:

7^2 = 3^2 + y^2

Solving for y, we get:

y = √(7^2 - 3^2) = √(49 - 9) = √40 = 6.32 m/s

Therefore, the y-component of the velocity vector is approximately 6.32 m/s.

I hope this helps! Remember, it's always important to understand the concepts and equations involved in a problem, rather than just memorizing them. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is "Please help finding y"?

"Please help finding y" is a phrase that typically indicates that someone is seeking assistance in locating or obtaining something, often in a specific context or situation.

2. Why do people ask for help finding y?

People may ask for help finding y because they are unable to locate or obtain it on their own, or they may need additional resources or expertise to do so. It could also be a way for people to connect with others and seek support or advice.

3. How can I help someone find y?

The best way to help someone find y will depend on the specific situation and context. Some possible ways to help could include providing resources or information, offering guidance or advice, or simply lending a listening ear and showing support.

4. Is there a specific method or approach to finding y?

There is no one-size-fits-all method or approach to finding y, as it can vary greatly depending on the situation and what is being sought. However, some common strategies for finding things include research, asking for recommendations or advice, and utilizing various tools and resources.

5. How can I improve my own skills in finding y?

To improve your skills in finding y, you can practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills, familiarize yourself with various resources and techniques for finding information, and seek feedback and guidance from others. Additionally, staying organized and persistent can often lead to successful outcomes in finding y.