Solving Static Friction & Force: Limits & Calculation | Turntable Problem

• Thread starter Flinthill84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving static friction and force. The problem involves an object on a rotating turntable and determining the coefficient of static friction and the force required to keep the object on the turntable. The participants are trying to figure out how to approach the problem and what formulas to use. They also discuss the use of a symbol for mass and its role in the solution.
Flinthill84
problem with static friction and force

I have been working on this problem all weekend and I just can't get it!

A small object is placed 10cm from the center of a phonograph turntable. It is observed to remain on the table when it rotates at 33 1/3 rev/min but slides off when it rotates at 45 rev/min. Between what limits must the coefficient of static friction between the object and the surface of the turntable lie? Calculate the value of Fc.

I believe I found the first part of the question by taking Us=v^2/g*r for each value that it rotates. I think that I need to use the formula Fc=m*v^2/r for the second part of the problem but I have no clue how to find the mass and have looked all through my notes and physics book. Please if you could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is Fc ?

I believe it is the force

its centrip force

Last edited:
it is actually F sub c in the problem...centripetal force

yeah it is centrip force can anyone please help!

are you allowed to write Fc in term of m?

yeah I am pretty sure I am

then just go ahead with it. give the range of Fc using the range of your coefficient of static frictional.

how do I go ahead with it?? I don't know the mass

i thought you said that you were allowed to write Fc in term of m ?

Flinthill,

Just start working on the problem using a symbolical "m" for mass. If the figure is not in the original problem, this usually means it will cancel out somewhere.

Think of it as a nice aid to proove your solution: if the mass doesn't cancel out in your solution, you might be doing something wrong...

I usually only fill out the numbers once I have a general solution written out in symbols.

Greetz,
Leo

What does "Please help I'm stuck" mean?

"Please help I'm stuck" is a phrase commonly used by individuals who are facing a problem or difficulty and are seeking assistance or guidance from others.

What should I do if I am stuck and need help?

If you are stuck and need help, the first thing to do is to remain calm and assess the situation. Then, try to identify the specific area or task that you are having trouble with. You can also reach out to someone with expertise or experience in that area for assistance.

Why do people say "Please help I'm stuck" instead of asking for help directly?

People may use the phrase "Please help I'm stuck" as a way to express their sense of urgency and to show that they are open to receiving assistance. It can also be seen as a more polite way of asking for help without feeling like they are burdening others.

What are some common reasons for getting stuck?

There can be various reasons for getting stuck, such as lack of knowledge, skills, or resources, unclear instructions, technical issues, or simply facing a difficult problem. It is important to identify the root cause in order to find the most effective solution.

How can I avoid getting stuck in the future?

To avoid getting stuck in the future, it is important to continuously learn and improve your skills and knowledge in a particular area. This can also involve seeking help or advice from others, being open to new perspectives, and breaking down complex tasks into smaller, manageable steps.