1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help I'm stuck

1. Nov 7, 2004 #1
    problem with static friction and force

I have been working on this problem all weekend and I just can't get it!!

A small object is placed 10cm from the center of a phonograph turntable. It is observed to remain on the table when it rotates at 33 1/3 rev/min but slides off when it rotates at 45 rev/min. Between what limits must the coefficient of static friction between the object and the surface of the turntable lie? Calculate the value of Fc.

I believe I found the first part of the question by taking Us=v^2/g*r for each value that it rotates. I think that I need to use the formula Fc=m*v^2/r for the second part of the problem but I have no clue how to find the mass and have looked all through my notes and physics book. Please if you could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2004 #2
    What is Fc ?

4. Nov 7, 2004 #3
    I believe it is the force

5. Nov 7, 2004 #4
    its centrip force

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  6. Nov 7, 2004 #5
    it is actually F sub c in the problem....centripetal force

7. Nov 7, 2004 #6
    yeah it is centrip force can anyone please help!!

8. Nov 7, 2004 #7
    are you allowed to write Fc in term of m?

9. Nov 7, 2004 #8
    yeah I am pretty sure I am

10. Nov 7, 2004 #9
    then just go ahead with it. give the range of Fc using the range of your coefficient of static frictional.

11. Nov 7, 2004 #10
    how do I go ahead with it?? I don't know the mass

12. Nov 9, 2004 #11
    i thought you said that you were allowed to write Fc in term of m ?

13. Nov 10, 2004 #12
    Flinthill,

Just start working on the problem using a symbolical "m" for mass. If the figure is not in the original problem, this usually means it will cancel out somewhere.

Think of it as a nice aid to proove your solution: if the mass doesn't cancel out in your solution, you might be doing something wrong...

I usually only fill out the numbers once I have a general solution written out in symbols.

Greetz,
    Leo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?