What is the rref form of this matrix and for what values of x is it valid?

In summary, the conversation discusses a pre-calculus problem involving a matrix with variables, and the process of finding the rref form for the matrix and determining the values of x for which it is valid. The conversation also touches on the use of linear algebra in solving the problem and the purpose of including the variable x in the matrix. The expert summarizer notes the steps taken to find the rref form and highlights that x can be any value except 1 or -1.
qwerty5
This is a pre-calculus problem. I don't know if I got the answer right, and I don't quite understand what I'm doing. I read the section several times and understand regular augmented matrices but this problem is confusing me a bit. There is no mention in the text about matrices with variables in the matrices. There is no answer in the back of the book.

Find this matrix in rref form and for what values of x is this valid.

matrix[1 x -1] My work so far:[x 1 -1] Switched order of rows
[x 1 -1] [1 x -1]
[-1 1 x] [-1 1 x] (continues below and to the left)

[0 1-x^2 x-1] added multiples of middle row to other rows
[1 x -1]
[0 x+1 x-1]

Added multiple of top row to middle row, x can't equal 1 or -1 (multiple is x/[(x +1)(x-1)])

[0 1-x^2 x-1]
[1 0 (x/(x+1)) -1]
[0 x+1 x-1]

[0 -(x^2-1) x-1]
[1 0 -1/(x+1)] simplify
[0 x+1 x-1]

[1 0 -1/(x+1)] Simplify to rref. Again, x can’t be 1 or -1
[0 1 -1/(x+1)]
[0 1 (x-1)/(x+1)]

the three systems at this point:

a = -1/(x+1)
b = -1/(x+1)
b = (x-1)/(x+1)

Setting the last to = to each other i get

(1/(x-1)) times (-1-(x-1)) = 0

and x=0, x doesn't equal 1 again

a= -1 and b=-1 plugging in

so i get

[1 0 -1]
[0 1 -1]
[-1 1 0]

and through addition of the first row to the third row

[1 0 -1]
[0 1 -1]
[0 1 -1] for the rref equivalent matrix

I FIND IT WEIRD THAT THE ONLY NUMBER X COULD BE IS 0. AM I WRONG??

Why did the creator of this problem put "x" in the matrix. If you have three variables and three equations, why not make a 3 by 4 augmented matrix?

If I write this out

a + bx = -1
ax + b = -1
-a + b = x

IT DOESN'T SEEM LIKE A LINEAR EQUATION? WHY IS IT BEING SOLVED WITH "LINEAR ALGEBRA." Is X only allowed to be a single number (an unknown coefficient)?

Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
qwerty5 said:
This is a pre-calculus problem. I don't know if I got the answer right, and I don't quite understand what I'm doing. I read the section several times and understand regular augmented matrices but this problem is confusing me a bit. There is no mention in the text about matrices with variables in the matrices. There is no answer in the back of the book.

[x 1 -1] [1 x -1]

Your initial matrix is

[1 x -1]
[x 1 -1]
[-1 1 x]

?

qwerty5 said:

[x 1 -1] [1 x -1]
So the original matrix is
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc} 1 & x & -1 \\ x & 1 & -1 \\ -1 & 1 & x\end{array}\right]

[0 1-x^2 x-1] added multiples of middle row to other rows
[1 x -1]
[0 x+1 x-1]

Added multiple of top row to middle row, x can't equal 1 or -1 (multiple is x/[(x +1)(x-1)])

[0 1-x^2 x-1]
[1 0 (x/(x+1)) -1]
[0 x+1 x-1]

[0 -(x^2-1) x-1]
[1 0 -1/(x+1)] simplify
[0 x+1 x-1]

[1 0 -1/(x+1)] Simplify to rref. Again, x can’t be 1 or -1
[0 1 -1/(x+1)]
[0 1 (x-1)/(x+1)]

the three systems at this point:

a = -1/(x+1)
b = -1/(x+1)
b = (x-1)/(x+1)

Setting the last to = to each other i get

(1/(x-1)) times (-1-(x-1)) = 0
Why would you want them to "equal each other"? There is nothing like that in the problem. Clearly the rref form for this is
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & \frac{x-1}{x+1}\end{array}\right][/tex]
or simply to
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 1\end{array}\right][/tex]

as long as x is NOT either 1 or -1.

and x=0, x doesn't equal 1 again

a= -1 and b=-1 plugging in

so i get

[1 0 -1]
[0 1 -1]
[-1 1 0]

and through addition of the first row to the third row

[1 0 -1]
[0 1 -1]
[0 1 -1] for the rref equivalent matrix

I FIND IT WEIRD THAT THE ONLY NUMBER X COULD BE IS 0. AM I WRONG??
x is 0 in order that what happens? The problem, as you stated it, was simply to row reduce the matrix. That can be done for any x except 1 or -1.

Why did the creator of this problem put "x" in the matrix. If you have three variables and three equations, why not make a 3 by 4 augmented matrix?

If I write this out

a + bx = -1
ax + b = -1
-a + b = x

IT DOESN'T SEEM LIKE A LINEAR EQUATION? WHY IS IT BEING SOLVED WITH "LINEAR ALGEBRA." Is X only allowed to be a single number (an unknown coefficient)?

Thank you for your help
Nothing was said about equations. A matrix in general does not have to be the "augmented" matrix of any set of equations.

Thank you that was very helpful.

FAQ: What is the rref form of this matrix and for what values of x is it valid?

What is a matrix with variables?

A matrix with variables is a mathematical representation of a set of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. It is often used to solve systems of equations or perform transformations in linear algebra.

How do you perform operations on a matrix with variables?

To perform operations on a matrix with variables, you can use the same rules as you would for a regular matrix. You can add, subtract, or multiply matrices with variables, as long as they have the same dimensions. You can also use scalar multiplication and find the determinant and inverse of a matrix with variables.

What is a system of equations represented by a matrix with variables?

A system of equations represented by a matrix with variables is a set of linear equations that can be written in matrix form. Each row in the matrix represents an equation, and the columns represent the variables. This allows for a more efficient way to solve systems of equations using matrix operations.

How do you solve a system of equations using a matrix with variables?

To solve a system of equations using a matrix with variables, you can use the Gaussian elimination method. This involves using elementary row operations to transform the matrix into an upper triangular form, which can then be easily solved using back substitution. Alternatively, you can use software or calculators that have built-in functions for solving systems of equations represented by matrices.

What are the applications of matrices with variables?

Matrices with variables have various applications in mathematics, engineering, and science. They are used to solve systems of equations, perform transformations, and represent data in a structured way. They are also used in computer graphics, statistics, and economics, among others.