How Is Wind Power Calculated from Wind Speed and Turbine Size?

In summary, the question asks for the mechanical energy of air per unit mass and the power generation potential of a wind turbine with 60m diameter blades at a location where wind is blowing steadily at 10m/s. The density of air is given as 1.25kgm-3 and the answer is calculated to be 0.05kJ/kg and 1770kW, respectively. The wind passing through the turbine results in a change in velocity, which in turn produces kinetic energy that drives the turbine.
TrisL

Homework Statement

At a certain location, wind is blowing steadily at 10m/s . Determine the mechanical energy of air per unit mass and the power generation potential of a wind turbine with 60m diameter blades at the location. Density of air is 1.25kgm-3. ( ans : 0.05kJ/kg, 1770kW )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm seriously bad at physics and I totally have no idea at all in this question, so there is no attempt at all. Please help me.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens to a wind when it passes through a turbine? Where does the energy come from that drives the turbine?

haruspex said:
What happens to a wind when it passes through a turbine? Where does the energy come from that drives the turbine?
Hi haruspex, the question given is just like this. :frown:

TrisL said:
Hi haruspex, the question given is just like this. :frown:
I'm asking you to think.

haruspex said:
I'm asking you to think.
The wind pass through the turbine just like that isn't it? The energy that drives the turbine, mechanical energy?

TrisL said:
The wind pass through the turbine just like that isn't it? The energy that drives the turbine, mechanical energy?
Is the wind exactly the same after it has passed through? Yes, it's mechanical energy, but what form does that take in a wind?

haruspex said:
Is the wind exactly the same after it has passed through? Yes, it's mechanical energy, but what form does that take in a wind?
The velocity of the wind changed? Hmmm... kinetic energy is the answer?

What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception is that physics is only about equations and numbers. In reality, physics is about understanding the natural world and how it works. Another misconception is that physics is only for geniuses. Anyone can learn and understand physics with the right approach and effort.

What are some effective study strategies for physics?

Some effective study strategies for physics include practicing problems, creating study guides or flashcards, working with a study group, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher. It is also important to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable chunks and to review material regularly.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to first understand the underlying concepts and principles. Then, practice solving different types of problems and identify any mistakes or areas for improvement. It can also be helpful to break down problems into smaller steps and to use diagrams or visual aids to better understand the problem.

What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has countless real-world applications, from the technology we use every day (such as smartphones and computers) to more complex systems like satellites and medical imaging devices. Physics also plays a crucial role in understanding natural phenomena such as weather patterns, the behavior of light and sound, and the motion of objects.

How can I stay motivated and engaged in learning physics?

To stay motivated and engaged in learning physics, it can be helpful to set achievable goals, find practical applications for the material, and make connections to your own interests or passions. Additionally, regularly reviewing material, seeking help when needed, and celebrating small successes can help maintain motivation and drive for learning physics.