Did Time, Mass, and Energy Exist Before the Big Bang?

In summary: The prevailing mathematical model breaks down as it approaches the presumed start of expansion. This is a model that is used to explain the history of the universe. It is a mathematical model that is used to explain the history of the universe. It is a mathematical model that is used to explain the evolution of the universe from a very small beginning to the present day.However, there are other newer models which do not break down, and they continue on back in time.If these models are right, then there is time and ordinary space, matter, energy back before expansion started. The question is, which models are right.This is a difficult question to answer. It is possible that there was a
Cale C.
Please clarify and tell me where I am wrong.

Before the big bang Time did not exist, nor mass, nor energy, nor velocity.

Or did they?

Thanks you for your help.

Space news on Phys.org
Cale C. said:
Please clarify and tell me where I am wrong.

Before the big bang Time did not exist, nor mass, nor energy, nor velocity.Or did they?Thanks you for your help.

I think most professional astronomers would be surprised if it turned out that the Big Bang actually turned out to be a singularity, a place where time evolution terminates.

We don't know. The main prevailing mathematical model breaks down as it approaches the presumed start of expansion. But there are other newer models which do not break down, and they continue on back in time.

If these models are right, then there is time and ordinary space, matter, energy back before expansion started. The question is, which models are right.

A good up-to-date account of where we are on this is presented at Einstein Online
http://www.einstein-online.info/en/spotlights/cosmology/index.html
This is a public outreach website of a top research institution (Albert Einstein Institute) in Germany.

Their stuff is written by physicists, often ones whose research is in the relevant area, but it is public-outreach non-technical style, so easier to understand. Try reading the short essay called "A Tale of Two Big Bangs". Here's an exerpt:

"...Whether or not there really was a big bang singularity is a totally different question. Most cosmologists would be very surprised if it turned out that our universe really did have an infinitely dense, infinitely hot, infinitely curved beginning. Commonly, the fact that a model predicts infinite values for some physical quantity indicates that the model is too simple and fails to include some crucial aspect of the real world. In fact, we already know what the usual cosmological models fail to include..."

I guess the point is that as of today there is no scientific reason to suppose that time stops at the BB, or that there is no time-evolution. One model breaks, other models don't, and so far there is no scientific reason to prefer one over the other. There have to be observations to check predictions.

There was an older view that was widespread before 2005 that there is no time before BB, that the idea was "meaningless". But that idea is old-fashioned now. You get it mainly from amateurs. Roger Penrose noted the change in a talk he gave in 2005 at Cambridge Isaac Newton Center.

Last edited by a moderator:
marcus said:
I think most astronomers would be surprised if it turned out that the Big Bang actually turned out to be a singularity, a place where time evolution terminates.

We don't know. The main prevailing mathematical model breaks down as it approaches the presumed start of expansion. But there are other newer models which do not break down, and they continue on back in time.

If these models are right, then there is time and ordinary space, matter, energy back before expansion started. The question is, which models are right.

If it was a singularity then it would be a True Rest Frame.

Which prompts some incredible theories and ideas.

Cale C. said:
Which prompts some incredible theories and ideas.

I don't know about those. I stick to pretty conventional mainstream stuff. We'd probably better not get into those incredible theories because this Forum is really not for highly speculative notions, it is more aimed at understanding and discussing the models that the bulk of professional researchers work on. The stuff they have conferences and present papers about.

1. What is the big bang theory?

The big bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a single point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How was the big bang theory developed?

The big bang theory was first proposed in the early 20th century by astronomers and physicists who observed that the universe is expanding. Later, evidence from cosmic microwave background radiation and the abundance of light elements in the universe further supported the theory.

3. What evidence supports the big bang theory?

One of the key pieces of evidence for the big bang theory is the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the early stages of the universe. The abundance of light elements, such as hydrogen and helium, also supports the theory.

4. What are some common misconceptions about the big bang theory?

One common misconception is that the big bang theory explains the origin of the universe from nothing. In reality, it only describes the expansion of the universe from a single point. Another misconception is that the big bang was an explosion in empty space, when in fact it was the expansion of space itself.

5. Is the big bang theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

Yes, the big bang theory is widely accepted by the scientific community as the most accurate and supported explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. However, it is still an ongoing area of research and new discoveries may lead to further understanding and refinement of the theory.