How Does the Inverse Square Law Apply to Calculating Distances Between Charges?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between distance and force in the context of Coulomb's Law and inverse square laws. The problem presented involves two opposite charges exerting a force on each other at a distance of 20mm, with the force being 0.5F. The question is to find the distance d when the force is 1F. The conversation also includes attempts at solving the problem and understanding the concepts, such as setting up an equation and using ratios. However, the individual is experiencing difficulty and panic, and may not perform well on their exam.
Tangeton
I am faced with the following question:
Two point charges X and Y, exert a force F on each other when they are at a distance d apart (x and y are opposite charges). When the distance between them is 20mm, the force exerted on each other is 0.5F. What is the distance d?

I know that, e.g. doubling r in F proportional to 1/r^2 will make F be 1/4 of the original, and tripling will make F 1/9 of the original but I do not know how it works the other way at all.

It looks like the relationship would be r proportional to square root of 1/F... I do not understand this relationship.

Could someone explain this in a very simple and understand way? I would also prefer this done as mathematically as possible...

I am so troubled please I have an exam tomorrow and I just cannot understand how to get F from d value for 0.5F...

Physics news on Phys.org
Tangeton said:
Two point charges X and Y, exert a force F on each other when they are at a distance d apart (x and y are opposite charges). When the distance between them is 20mm, the force exerted on each other is 0.5F. What is the distance d?

I know that, e.g. doubling r in F proportional to 1/r^2 will make F be 1/4 of the original, and tripling will make F 1/9 of the original but I do not know how it works the other way at all.

It looks like the relationship would be r proportional to square root of 1/F... I do not understand this relationship.

Could someone explain this in a very simple and understand way? I would also prefer this done as mathematically as possible...

I am so troubled please I have an exam tomorrow and I just cannot understand how to get F from d value for 0.5F...
Seems like a straightforward application of Coulomb's Law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law

Note: Coulomb's Law and Newton's Law of Gravitation are both examples of Inverse Square Laws.

SteamKing said:
Seems like a straightforward application of Coulomb's Law:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law

Note: Coulomb's Law and Newton's Law of Gravitation are both examples of Inverse Square Laws.

I know the coulmob's law. I do not know Q1 or Q2 to solve it using coulomb is law. This is not helping. Please I need real help I just don't understand how to apply at all to these questions. I don't know if I am thick but I simply do not see it.. I have been crying over this question for over an hour please...

Just an example of what if F was 0.21F when d=11, what would be d when 1F?

Last edited:
You would set up an equation by representing the physical quantities (force and distance) with algebraic variables. When you plug in the numbers given in the problem you can solve for the unknown using elementary algebra.

David Lewis said:
You would set up an equation by representing the physical quantities (force and distance) with algebraic variables. When you plug in the numbers given in the problem you can solve for the unknown using elementary algebra.

0.5F = k(Q1Q2/20^2)
200F = K(Q1Q2)

What can I do from here..? Am I doing the right thing even? I see 3 unknowns here...

Please help...

Tangeton said:

You're in a panic and not understanding what information the problem is giving you.

The problem says x and y are opposite charges, so what does that tell you about the magnitude of Q1 relative to Q2?

When Q1 and Q2 are 20 mm apart, the force exerted on Q1 by Q2 (or vice versa) has magnitude 0.5 F.

What does the distance d have to be between Q1 and Q2 so that the magnitude of the force exerted by one charge on the other is 1.0 F?

This is a simple problem. All you need to do is calm down and set up a ratio between the two situations.

If you don't get ahold of yourself soon, your exam will not go well.

SteamKing said:
You're in a panic and not understanding what information the problem is giving you.

The problem says x and y are opposite charges, so what does that tell you about the magnitude of Q1 relative to Q2?

Is it equal and opposite..?

When Q1 and Q2 are 20 mm apart, the force exerted on Q1 by Q2 (or vice versa) has magnitude 0.5 F.

What does the distance d have to be between Q1 and Q2 so that the magnitude of the force exerted by one charge on the other is 1.0 F?

This is a simple problem. All you need to do is calm down and set up a ratio between the two situations.

If you don't get ahold of yourself soon, your exam will not go well.

I am in a panic but I would not be able to solve this question if I weren't in a panic anyway... My exam won't go down well anyway... I don't understand anything about the inverse square law or working with ratios in physics...

I know I need 1F, and that it is somehow that d is 20x0.7 since d=14mm... But I don't get any eureka moments... I know that I need to double the F that is given at 20mm to get 1F... I do not understand what happens to r in F (proportional to) 1/r^2 when F gets double, I can only know that it would 1/4 if r got doubled... or 1/9 if it got tripled...

Talking to me is like talking to a 3 year old child isn't it...

I know I just said I have no eureka moments but... would this be the way to do ratios?

0.5F : 1/20^2
0.5 : 1/400
1: 1/200
1:1/10xSqrt of 2
1: 1/14.14

Although I don't know why it would be that you have to take the square root of 200...?

Tangeton said:
I know I just said I have no eureka moments but... would this be the way to do ratios?

0.5F : 1/20^2
0.5 : 1/400
1: 1/200
1:1/10xSqrt of 2
1: 1/14.14

Although I don't know why it would be that you have to take the square root of 200...?

If you arrange your calculations in a systematic way, this goes a long way to provide clarity.

The basic Coulomb's Law is:

##F = k \frac{Q_1 ⋅ Q_2}{r^2}##

We are given that Q1 is the opposite charge of Q2, so that means that Q2 = -Q1.

When d = 20 mm F = 0.5 ⋅ F, so we can substitute this information into Coulomb's Law equation:

##0.5 ⋅ F = k \frac {Q_1 ⋅ (-Q_1)}{0.020^2} = -k \frac{Q_1^2}{0.020^2}##

##F = -2 ⋅ k \frac{Q_1^2}{0.020^2}##

Now, the alternate condition is to find d such that the force between charges is F:

##F = -k \frac{Q_1^2}{d^2}##

Set the two expressions for F equal to one another and solve for the value of d:

##-k \frac{Q_1^2}{d^2} = -2 ⋅ k \frac{Q_1^2}{0.020^2}##

Likes Tangeton
In this problem, F is a constant, whereas in Coulomb's Law, F represents a variable.

Likes Delta2
And also we don't really need for ##Q_2=-Q_1##, the problem can be solved in a very similar way for any two charges , because the product ##Q_1Q_2## will appear in both sides of the equation and thus can be simplified.

Delta² said:
And also we don't really need for ##Q_2=-Q_1##, the problem can be solved in a very similar way for any two charges , because the product ##Q_1Q_2## will appear in both sides of the equation and thus can be simplified.
No, but one needs to understand how to interpret the language of the problem statement, specifically "x and y are opposite charges".

In many cases, too many IMO, a problem is not solved correctly not because the student is deficient in math or science, but because he or she cannot read and understand the problem properly.

Likes QuantumQuest
Good catch, Delta2. Since k, Q1 and Q2 are constants:

F1(d1)2 = F2(d2)2

1.0(d)2 = 0.5(20)2

(Note that d is denominated in millimetres.)

Tangeton said:

What is the ratio of d to 20mm. (assuming d is also in units of mm) ?

What is the ratio of F to 0.5F ?

What is the relationship these two ratios?

Tangeton said:
Just an example of what if F was 0.21F when d=11, what would be d when 1F?

F1(d1)2 = F2(d2)2

0.21(11)2 = 1.0(d)2

(Note that in this problem, the values of Q1, Q2 or k are different than in the original problem you posted.)

1. What is the inverse square law?

The inverse square law is a principle in physics that states that the intensity of a physical quantity, such as light or sound, is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as the distance from the source increases, the intensity decreases.

2. How does the inverse square law apply to light?

In the case of light, the inverse square law states that the brightness of a light source decreases as the distance from the source increases. For example, if you move twice as far away from a light source, the light will appear four times dimmer because the intensity of the light is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

3. What are some real-life examples of the inverse square law?

One common example of the inverse square law is the intensity of sunlight. As you move further away from the sun, the amount of sunlight reaching you decreases according to the inverse square law. Other examples include the strength of radio signals, the gravitational force between two objects, and the loudness of sound.

4. How is the inverse square law used in scientific research?

The inverse square law is used in many scientific fields, such as astronomy, optics, and acoustics. It is used to calculate the intensity of light at different distances, to determine the strength of gravitational fields, and to measure the loudness of sound at different distances from the source.

5. Why is the inverse square law important to understand?

The inverse square law is a fundamental principle in physics that helps us understand how certain physical quantities behave in relation to distance. It is used in many scientific calculations and experiments, and understanding it can help us make accurate predictions and interpretations in various fields of study.