Calculating the Inductance of a Toroidal Solenoid: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Cockroach
  • Start date
In summary, The problem involves calculating the inductance of a toroidal solenoid with given dimensions and number of turns, using a ferromagnetic material with a relative permeability of 500. The inductance can be found using the equation B = (500*1.26x10^-6 *N*I)/(2*pi*r), where N is the number of turns, I is the current, and r is the mean radius. The current is not needed to calculate the inductance and the value of inductance is independent of current.
Cockroach
This one is giving me a headache. I thought I had the right solution after a long time of scrolling back and forth in the physics book... I think the biggest problem for me is how do I use that 1.26x10-6 N/A^2 for the permeability of free space. If you can answer this you might want to post the whole procedure of solving this problem, cause my problem might be that everything I'm trying is wrong!

A toroidal solenoid has a cross-sectional area of 0.420 cm^2 , a mean radius of 12.6 cm, and 1850 turns. The space inside the windings is filled with a ferromagnetic material that has a relative permeability of 500.
Calculate the inductance of the solenoid. (You can ignore the variation of the magnetic field across the cross section of the toroid.) Use 1.26×10-6 N/A^2 for the permeability of free space.

Please help me. I'm not trying to get someone to do my homework for me, I just didn't see any other alternatives after all this time of trying! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\mu_0 [/tex] = permeability of free space is just a constant you use to find B, the magnetic field inside the toroid. If the interior of the toroid was a vacuum you would just use [tex]\mu_0[/tex] but for your toroid you will use [tex]500\mu_0[/tex] because of the given relative permeability of the metal core.

So, for your toroid,
[tex]B = \frac{500\mu_0NI}{2\pi{r}}[/tex]
N is the number of turns, I is the current and r is the mean radius.

Next, you have to figure out [tex]\phi_B[/tex], the magnetic flux through each turn, and then you can solve for the inductance L.

Do you not understand what "relative" means?

How do I find I, the current to find B?

inductance is independent of current

ragnarr said:
How do I find I, the current to find B?
You won't need the current to calculate the inductance. When you use the expression that gnome provided for B to calculate the inductance, the current will drop out. (You'll need to know the definition of inductance.)

1. What does "Please help me with this one" mean?

"Please help me with this one" is a request for assistance with a specific task or problem.

2. Can you explain how to solve this problem?

Yes, I can provide step-by-step instructions or guidance on how to approach and solve the problem.

3. How long will it take for you to help me with this one?

The time it takes to provide assistance may vary depending on the complexity of the task and my availability. I will do my best to help as soon as possible.

4. What information do you need from me to help with this one?

I may need more details or context about the problem in order to provide effective help. Please provide as much information as you can so I can better understand the issue.

5. Can you guarantee that you will be able to help me with this one?

I will do my best to help, but there is no guarantee that I will be able to solve the problem or provide the desired outcome. Sometimes, certain tasks or problems may require additional expertise or resources that I may not have. However, I will do my best to assist you in any way I can.