Please help me with this physics related problem

• Thread starter Gooseman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with the firing mechanism for a toy gun and the limitations in modifying its components. The person seeks help in designing a better mechanism and suggestions are given, including using a stronger spring and a slide action instead of a rotating lever. One suggestion involves a two-part lever arm with a hinged joint to increase leverage and eliminate the need to extend and bend the firing pin.
Gooseman
Hi everyone,
Here is a picture describing my problem..
http://www.pbase.com/image/20344544

Basically, it's the firing mechanism for a toygun.
When the trigger is pulled, the hammer flies forward and hits the firing pin. The firing pin then flies forward and hits the button.

I came up with a better design but i need to verify if it's actually better or not. Also, would like some suggestions on even better designs.

LIMITATIONS:

Basically, the position of the hammer's axis of rotation cannot be modified. Nor can the position of the firing pin or the button.
The shape of the hammer and the shape of the firing pin can be modified. The shape of the button cannot.

thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Gooseman
Hi everyone,
Here is a picture describing my problem..
http://www.pbase.com/image/20344544

Basically, it's the firing mechanism for a toygun.
When the trigger is pulled, the hammer flies forward and hits the firing pin. The firing pin then flies forward and hits the button.

I came up with a better design but i need to verify if it's actually better or not. Also, would like some suggestions on even better designs.

LIMITATIONS:

Basically, the position of the hammer's axis of rotation cannot be modified. Nor can the position of the firing pin or the button.
The shape of the hammer and the shape of the firing pin can be modified. The shape of the button cannot.

thanks for the help!

How do you define better? From what I see, we may be in trouble. It looks like your new mechanism will tend to bind at the firing pin. Also, you are sacrificing torque for speed. This may or may not be a good thing. What do you hope to achieve by relocating the strike point higher along the hammer?

The goal is to achieve maximum force on the button. I'm willing to sacrifice speed. I wasn't aware of the binding portion.. I'll have to take that into account when desiging the firing pin..

I was hoping to achieve more force on the firing pin (and thus the button) by moving the strike point higher along the hammer..

The goal is to achieve maximum force on the button. I'm willing to sacrifice speed. I wasn't aware of the binding portion.. I'll have to take that into account when desiging the firing pin..

I was hoping to achieve more force on the firing pin (and thus the button) by moving the strike point higher along the hammer..

Can you put a stronger spring in the hammer mechanism?

I think that extension on the firing pin is going to break after relatyively few uses.

yes, you can.. but aside from adding a stronger hammer spring. What else can be done. Perhaps that is really all there can be done.. I just need to design a better firing pin that takes advantage of the higher forces generated at the top of the hammer. One that doesn't break after few uses :)

yes, you can.. but aside from adding a stronger hammer spring. What else can be done. Perhaps that is really all there can be done.. I just need to design a better firing pin that takes advantage of the higher forces generated at the top of the hammer. One that doesn't break after few uses :)

Really you have two problems: Binding, and leverage as indicated by Lurch. So like you have said, you will have to design around this. Really though I would look to the spring as part of the solution. How about going with some kind of slide action rather than a rotating lever?

Hey, this is just for paintball or something similar right?

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
How about going with some kind of slide action rather than a rotating lever?

The same thought had crossed my mind. If you placed a two-part lever arm, with a hinge at the joint between the two parts, you could anchor one end of the arm to a stationary piece of the gun, and the other end to the top of the hammer. When the hammer is cocked back, the lever is bent at the hinge in the middle ( < ), and when the hammer springs forward, the lever is straitened out ( / ). Place a striker at the hinged joint, and this will be moved forward with all the force of the end of the hammer, but in the location where the firing pin currently sits. This will illiminate the need to extend and bend the firing pin, which would greatly weaken it.

Come to think of it, the leverage of the hinged joint could even multiply the speed of the hammer, depending on the placement of the stationary end.

The problem I see with that idea, Lurch, is that as the joint moves about, there will be length variations which will need to be accounted for.

Wait, no sorry, upon re-reading your description of the design I realized you weren't saying what I thought you were saying. My bad.

1. What is the best way to approach a physics problem?

The best way to approach a physics problem is to first understand the given information and what the problem is asking for. Then, identify the relevant equations and principles that can be applied. Finally, solve the problem step by step, making sure to include units and check for errors.

2. How do I know which equations to use in a physics problem?

When solving a physics problem, it is important to read the problem carefully and identify the known and unknown variables. Then, consult your textbook or class notes to find relevant equations that involve those variables. Use your understanding of the concepts to select the most appropriate equation for the problem.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a physics problem?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and try to approach the problem from a different angle. Break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also consult your textbook, class notes, or online resources for additional help. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher or classmates for assistance as well.

4. How important is it to show all of my work when solving a physics problem?

Showing all of your work is crucial when solving a physics problem. It not only helps you to keep track of your thought process and identify any errors, but it also allows your teacher to see how you arrived at your answer and give partial credit if necessary. Additionally, showing your work is a great way to practice and reinforce your understanding of the concepts.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in physics is to practice regularly. Start with simpler problems and gradually move on to more complex ones. Make sure to thoroughly understand the concepts and principles behind the problems, rather than just memorizing equations. You can also seek additional resources such as practice problems, online tutorials, or study groups to help you improve your skills.