Calculating Limiting Reagent and Percent Yield for Gasoline Combustion

• Thread starter hima
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a chemical equation and various quantities of substances. The question involves determining the limiting reagent, calculating the mass of carbon dioxide produced, and finding the percent yield in a hypothetical experiment. The speaker also mentions the use of mole units and the need to convert from volume to mass.
hima
please i need to solve this problem, can you help me out. thank you.
equation: 2C8H18 (l) + 25O2 (g) → 16CO2 (g) + 18H2O (l)
a)2.62kg(one gallon) of gasoline is burned with 7000.0L of oxygen gas at STP. what is the limiting reagent?
b) what mass of carbon dioxide is produced in part?
c) if 6.4 kg of carbon dioxide is collected in the lab using the amounts in part(a), what is the percent yield for this experiment?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Could you please tell us what you have done already, and where exactly you need help/don't understand?

The questions are clear, but the problem is that we can't answer to homeworks here .

You would perform most of your calculations in mole units. Since your given quantity of gasoline is in gallons(a volume unit), you need to know this gasoline's density (or specific gravity, at least something to work with); the density will give you the mass, and the mass will give you the moles (obviously using suitable conversion calculations).

The "l" in your reaction means "liquid", and the "g" in your reaction means "gas"

Related to Calculating Limiting Reagent and Percent Yield for Gasoline Combustion

1. What type of problem do you need help with?

The type of problem I need help with can vary depending on the specific situation. It could be a technical issue, a mathematical equation, a research question, or any other type of problem that requires scientific knowledge and expertise.

2. Why do you need help with this problem?

I may need help with this problem because I am not familiar with the topic or concept, I am stuck and cannot find a solution, or I am looking for a second opinion to ensure accuracy and validity in my work.

3. How can I provide enough information for you to help me?

To provide enough information, it is helpful to clearly state the problem, provide any relevant background information, and explain the steps you have already taken to try and solve it. Including any data, equations, or sources related to the problem can also be useful.

4. What is your process for helping with this problem?

My process for helping with a problem typically involves carefully analyzing the information provided, researching and reviewing relevant literature and resources, and using my scientific knowledge and skills to come up with potential solutions or recommendations.

5. Can you guarantee that you will solve my problem?

I cannot guarantee that I will solve your problem, as it ultimately depends on the complexity and nature of the issue. However, I will do my best to provide assistance and support in finding a solution or directing you towards additional resources that may be helpful.