Why Is Calculating Golf Ball Velocity More Challenging on a Downhill Lie?

• Thread starter jburrus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of making a putt on a golf course depending on whether it is uphill or downhill. The ball's deceleration rate and distance from the cup are given, and the task is to calculate the allowable range of velocities to ensure the ball stops within 1.0m of the cup. The results show that the downhill putt is more difficult due to the higher deceleration rate.
jburrus

Homework Statement

In putting the force with which a golfer strikes ball is planned so that the ball will stop within some small distance of the cup say 1.0 m long or short in case the putt is missed. Acomplishing this from an uphill lie(that is putting downhill) is more difficult than from downhill lie. To see why assume that on a particular green the ball decelerates constantly at 2.0m/s^2 going downhill and constantly going at 3.0 m/s^2 going uphill. Suppose we have an uphill lie 7.0m from the cup. Calculate the allowable range of velocities we may impart to the ball so that it stops in the range 1.0m short to 1.0m long of the cup. Do the same for a downhill lie 7.0m from the cup. What in your results suggests that the downhill putt is more difficult?

Homework Equations

V^2=vo^2+2a(x-xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hijburrus! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)

forget all about this "uphill" and "downhill" guff …

just use the given figures of 2.0 and 3.0 m/s2, and find the v0 corresponding to the given distances …

what do you get? :smile:

FAQ: Why Is Calculating Golf Ball Velocity More Challenging on a Downhill Lie?

1. How do I approach a problem that I have no clue how to solve?

When faced with a problem that you have no idea how to solve, the first step is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Identify the specific task or goal you are trying to achieve and then brainstorm possible solutions. You can also consult with others, use online resources, or research similar problems to gain insight into potential solutions.

2. What are some strategies for problem-solving when I feel completely stuck?

One strategy for problem-solving when you feel stuck is to take a break and come back to it with a fresh perspective. Sometimes, stepping away from a problem can help you see it in a new light. Another strategy is to try a different approach or perspective. You can also break the problem down into smaller parts and tackle them one at a time.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. One way to improve is by actively seeking out new challenges and problems to solve. You can also work on developing your critical thinking skills, which involve analyzing and evaluating information to come up with solutions. Additionally, seeking feedback from others and learning from your mistakes can also help improve your problem-solving abilities.

4. What should I do if I still can't solve the problem after trying different strategies?

If you have exhausted all possible strategies and still cannot solve the problem, it may be beneficial to seek help from others. This can include asking a colleague, friend, or expert for their input or advice. Sometimes, a fresh perspective or a different set of skills can make all the difference in finding a solution.

5. How can I prevent feeling overwhelmed when faced with a difficult problem?

When dealing with a difficult problem, it is important to stay calm and avoid becoming overwhelmed. One way to do this is by breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try to maintain a positive attitude and remember that every problem has a solution, even if it may not be immediately apparent. Taking breaks and practicing self-care can also help prevent feelings of overwhelm.

Back