1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help! Super stressed out and worried feel like crying.

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    Hello guys incoming college freshman here looking to major in mechanical engineering.
    I'll get straight to the point and say that i'm super stressed out, I can't sleep well, and I can safely say that I'm on the brink of becoming depressed.
    First of all I did terrible in high school due to personal problems and came to an academic/moral epiphany my senior year and I got serious about education but was too late as my gpa was ruined. Therefore, I will be starting at a community college.

The real problem that is stressing me out is my education plan. I have a perfect 2 year education plan at my time in CC.
    I did not pass my AP calculus AB exam and that ripped my self esteem apart because I thought I had done very well and my education plan was based on getting the AP credit.
    To this day I wonder what went wrong the morning of May 9.

Fast forward to today where I go to plan B and challenge Calculus I at my CC to regenerate my Ed plan.
    I passed the challenging professor's calculus test and now i am able to enroll in Calc II & Physics I as it would've been if I had passed my AP calculus test.
    The problem I have is: will colleges reject me if they don't see Calculus I on my transcript?
    I'm really freaking out guys.
    Still very sad about failing my AP Calc test. I did so well in the class and was very confident about it.

Has anybody here done a prerequsite challenge before? If so, how did it affect you?
    Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2
    Please tell me I'm not a hopeless case.

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Try to calm down. No failed course or test is a personal failure. You need to take things step-by-step and settle down, so you can work on what you do well. Nothing that happens in HS or CC can make or break your academic career unless you let it.

Good luck!

5. Jul 17, 2012 #4
    Why would calc I matter if you took calc II. By taking calc II that means you know calc I already.

6. Jul 17, 2012 #5
    Makes me feel a little better i guess.

7. Jul 17, 2012 #6
    Colleges won;t care about calc I if you take calc II and do pass it so don't worry about that. Don't let small things like that make you worried.

8. Jul 17, 2012 #7
    I will submit the prerequsite challenge and try to relax.

9. Jul 17, 2012 #8

chiro

Science Advisor

If you pass and go decent enough in Calculus I and II, I wouldn't worry in the slightest about the past. By passing you have shown you are competent to go to the next level and that's what matters.

10. Jul 18, 2012 #9
    About you not knowing what went wrong in the test: in my country we always have the possibility to look into an exam, with supervision of the professor. Is there no such thing possible in your case?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook