Please help Super stressed out and worried feel like crying.

• Thread starter RoyScience
  • Start date
In summary, a incoming college freshman is stressed about majoring in mechanical engineering and starting at a community college after struggling academically in high school. The main issue is their education plan, which was affected by not passing an AP calculus exam. They have a backup plan to challenge Calculus I at their community college. The student is worried about potential college rejections and seeks reassurance and advice from others who have done a prerequisite challenge.
RoyScience
Hello guys incoming college freshman here looking to major in mechanical engineering.
I'll get straight to the point and say that I'm super stressed out, I can't sleep well, and I can safely say that I'm on the brink of becoming depressed.
First of all I did terrible in high school due to personal problems and came to an academic/moral epiphany my senior year and I got serious about education but was too late as my gpa was ruined. Therefore, I will be starting at a community college.

The real problem that is stressing me out is my education plan. I have a perfect 2 year education plan at my time in CC.
I did not pass my AP calculus AB exam and that ripped my self esteem apart because I thought I had done very well and my education plan was based on getting the AP credit.
To this day I wonder what went wrong the morning of May 9.

Fast forward to today where I go to plan B and challenge Calculus I at my CC to regenerate my Ed plan.
I passed the challenging professor's calculus test and now i am able to enroll in Calc II & Physics I as it would've been if I had passed my AP calculus test.
The problem I have is: will colleges reject me if they don't see Calculus I on my transcript?
I'm really freaking out guys.
Still very sad about failing my AP Calc test. I did so well in the class and was very confident about it.

Has anybody here done a prerequsite challenge before? If so, how did it affect you?
Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please tell me I'm not a hopeless case.

Try to calm down. No failed course or test is a personal failure. You need to take things step-by-step and settle down, so you can work on what you do well. Nothing that happens in HS or CC can make or break your academic career unless you let it.

Good luck!

Why would calc I matter if you took calc II. By taking calc II that means you know calc I already.

Makes me feel a little better i guess.

Colleges won;t care about calc I if you take calc II and do pass it so don't worry about that. Don't let small things like that make you worried.

I will submit the prerequsite challenge and try to relax.

If you pass and go decent enough in Calculus I and II, I wouldn't worry in the slightest about the past. By passing you have shown you are competent to go to the next level and that's what matters.

About you not knowing what went wrong in the test: in my country we always have the possibility to look into an exam, with supervision of the professor. Is there no such thing possible in your case?

1. What are some ways to cope with stress and anxiety?

There are several techniques that can help you manage stress and anxiety, such as deep breathing exercises, mindfulness and meditation, physical activity, talking to a trusted friend or therapist, and practicing relaxation techniques like yoga or tai chi.

2. How can I calm myself down when I feel like crying?

First, it's important to recognize and acknowledge your emotions. Then, try to focus on your breathing and take slow, deep breaths. You can also try to distract yourself by doing something you enjoy or practicing a relaxation technique. If you feel overwhelmed, don't hesitate to reach out for support from a loved one or a professional.

3. Can stress and anxiety cause physical symptoms?

Yes, stress and anxiety can manifest in physical symptoms such as headaches, muscle tension, stomach problems, and fatigue. It's important to address the root cause of your stress and anxiety to prevent these physical symptoms from worsening.

4. How can I prevent feeling overwhelmed and stressed?

One way to prevent feeling overwhelmed and stressed is to prioritize and manage your time effectively. Make a list of tasks and prioritize them based on their importance. It's also important to take breaks and practice self-care regularly to avoid burnout. Seeking support from friends and family can also help alleviate stress.

5. When should I seek professional help for my stress and anxiety?

If your feelings of stress and anxiety are interfering with your daily life and activities, it may be beneficial to seek professional help. Additionally, if you are experiencing physical symptoms or have difficulty managing your stress on your own, a therapist or counselor can provide you with tools and techniques to cope more effectively.