Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help with discharging capacitors

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1
    Hello,
    I have a bit of a problem with my project and it is as follows: I am trying to discharge a capacitor bank (2x 470uf 400V capacitors in parallel). I tried making a MOSFET switch to use that as a switch, but it kept burning out the mosfets (they were rated for 600V and around 100A), then I went and grabbed a laundry style clip (the plastic thing you use to hang clothes) and made a switch from that, HOWEVER, here is the problem. When I close the switch, there is always an explosion on the contacts of the switch (they become black aswell). I guess it's because the current is so high it just explodes on contact or something, i don't know. After these explosions, the capacitors are completely empty (they go from 400V to 0V), so the problem I have is that all the energy stored in the capacitors is discharged on that switch explosion, and I am wondering what kind of switching device or circuit or whatever I can make for there to be NO loss in energy on the actual switch, so I can actually use the energy stored in the capacitors for my project.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Why are the capacitors charged in the first place? It sounds like you are dealing with voltages and energies higher than you should be. Why not just use a large value resistance bleed resistor?

4. Mar 25, 2016 #3
    I'm not sure you understand, I am charging them with a DC power supply and trying to quickly discharge them on something. I know how to deal with high voltages, I have been doing this for a long time. My question was how to large capacitors with no energy loss on the switch. :)

5. Mar 25, 2016 #4

berkeman

Are you using capacitors specifically made for quick discharge of high energy? If you are using standard caps, there is a good chance they will be damaged by a rapid discharge.

What reading have you done on this so far? I did a quick Google search of high energy capacitor discharge, and got lots of good hits.

6. Mar 25, 2016 #5
    Put a inductive load in the discharge circuit. A suitable inductive resistance will prevent the switch contact arcing, as it opposes the discharge current surge.
    To prevent oscillation, remember to also include a dampening diode parallel to the inductor.
    And, just my personal preference, in such circuits, I include a one ohm, high wattage, inductively neutral resistor in the discharge path.
    Among other things, it makes a handy test point for troubleshooting.

7. Mar 25, 2016 #6

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

My question would be what other components are in the discharge circuit? So far we know about capacitors and a makeshift switch. Exactly where do you want this energy to go?

8. Mar 26, 2016 #7

Drakkith

Thread locked for moderation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook