How Can I Calculate RPM and Torque for Different Bottling Line Speeds?

• Thread starter Dopeylass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rpm Torque
In summary: IS has been researching and developing a new, more efficient bottle capping machine. They need to get from 0.15 m/s to 4 m/s in order to keep up with the speed of production. The current machine can cap 2,000 bottles an hour, but they would like to be able to cap 3,000 bottles an hour. They have determined that the maximum weight of bottles on the bottling line is 30 kg and the chain conveyer is 25 kg. If anyone has any information on how to calculate the speed and torque required for this machine, they would be very grateful.
Dopeylass
I need help working out the RPM of the motor/gearbox and torque from the following details:
The temporary drive rigged up is running at 0.2 metres a second, which is a little faster than the speed we usually ran our broken Lenze drive. We bottle 2 sizes of glass bottle, 1 litre and 1/4 litre. The speed of our capping machine limits us to 2,000 bottles an hour (33 bottle/min). We would like to be able to go from about 0.15 metres/sec to about 4 metres/sec. I don't have any torque figures for the broken motor, but I estimate the maximum weight of bottles on the bottling line to be 30 kg and the chain conveyer is 25 kg.

If anyone knows how to work out the speed and torque from the above information please let me know as i am getting pretty desperate, as i need to order an alternative geared motor before the temporary one breaks.

Attachments

• 100_1507.jpg
    100_1507.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think it's safe to say we need some kind of diagram showing the set up.

I have photos's of the conveyor

If I understand your question correctly, you want to find the RPM of a motor to that will give you a tangential speed of 4 m/s right?

If so (and if my memory serves me correctly), you can find the RPM using the general formula,

RPM = (v*60)/D*Pi)

where,

v = velocity, ft/sec
D = diameter, ft

This will give you the RPM's required to obtain the desired tangential speed. The diameter is assumed to be measured from the center of the circle (or gear where the motor is coupled).

A quick Google on conveyor belt design returned lots of software that you could use instead of trying to figure it out with hand calcs.

http://www.helixtech.com.au/T5Main.htm

Hope this helps.

CS

1. What is the relationship between RPM and torque?

RPM (Revolutions Per Minute) and torque are both measurements of rotational motion. The higher the RPM, the faster an object is rotating. Torque, on the other hand, is a measure of the force applied to produce rotational motion. The relationship between the two is that torque is directly proportional to RPM. This means that as RPM increases, torque also increases.

2. How do I calculate torque and RPM?

To calculate torque, you will need to know the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. Torque is calculated by multiplying these two values. RPM can be calculated by dividing the number of revolutions by the time taken to complete those revolutions. For example, if an object completes 10 revolutions in 2 minutes, the RPM would be 10/2 = 5 RPM.

3. What is the importance of RPM and torque in machinery?

RPM and torque are important in machinery because they determine the speed and power of rotational motion. This is crucial in many mechanical systems such as engines, turbines, and motors. Understanding and controlling RPM and torque can help optimize the performance and efficiency of these machines.

4. How does changing RPM affect torque and vice versa?

As mentioned earlier, torque and RPM are directly proportional. This means that changing one will affect the other. For example, if the RPM is increased, the torque will also increase. On the other hand, decreasing RPM will result in a decrease in torque.

5. Can RPM and torque be controlled independently?

Yes, RPM and torque can be controlled independently in some cases. This is usually achieved by using different gear ratios or adjusting the power source of the machine. However, in most cases, RPM and torque are interdependent and changing one will affect the other.