Please point me to more info about these Feynman statements

In summary, Feynman discusses the paradoxes of the quark model and the need for an infinite number of particles in order to explain certain experimental results. If you are interested in learning more about quantum mechanics and the laws of relativity, there are several books available that can help explain these concepts in a more accessible way.
GreatBigBore
I'm watching a youtube video () of an interview with Feynman. He says, "...there are a number of paradoxes with this quark picture...we've done some experiments at very high energy, hitting a proton with an electron...that can only be interpreted by supposing that the number of particles inside is really infinite. If there are particles inside it can't be done with just three." He goes on to say, "...the idea that there would be just three particles [quarks] is contradictory to the laws of relativity."

I thought that I knew a bit about physics, but obviously I'm in the dark. Could someone please point me to some books (that don't require a physics degree) that could shed some light on these statements by Feynman? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Some books that may be helpful in understanding Feynman's statements are: 1. Six Not-So-Easy Pieces: Einstein's Relativity, Symmetry, and Space-Time by Richard P. Feynman 2. Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman 3. Quantum Physics for Babies by Chris Ferrie 4. Quantum Mechanics for Dummies by Steven Holzner 5. Quantum Mechanics: A Beginner's Guide by Alastair I. M. Rae 6. An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics: A First Course for Physicists by Paul C. W. Davies 7. Quantum Theory of Fields by Sidney Coleman 8. Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell by A. Zee 9. The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw 10. QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter by Richard Feynman

Sure, I can provide some additional information about Feynman's statements. Richard Feynman was a renowned physicist who made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics. In the interview you are watching, he is discussing the concept of quarks, which are subatomic particles that make up protons and neutrons.

Feynman is referring to the paradoxes that arise when trying to understand the behavior of quarks. One of these paradoxes is known as the "infinite momentum frame paradox," which arises when trying to understand the behavior of particles at very high energies. According to the laws of relativity, as the energy of a particle increases, its momentum also increases. However, at extremely high energies, the momentum of a particle would become infinite, which is impossible according to the laws of physics.

To solve this paradox, Feynman proposed the idea that there are actually an infinite number of quarks inside a proton, rather than just the three that were originally thought to exist. This idea is known as the "parton model" and it helps to explain the behavior of particles at high energies.

To learn more about Feynman's ideas and the concept of quarks, I would recommend reading "QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter" by Richard Feynman or "The Quark and the Jaguar: Adventures in the Simple and the Complex" by Murray Gell-Mann (the physicist who originally proposed the existence of quarks). These books do not require a physics degree and provide accessible explanations of these complex concepts. Additionally, you can find more information about Feynman and his work on various websites, such as the official website of the Feynman Lectures on Physics.

1. What are Feynman statements?

Feynman statements refer to the famous quotes and sayings of physicist Richard Feynman. These statements are often used to convey complex scientific concepts in a more easily understandable way.

2. Where can I find more information about Feynman statements?

There are various sources where you can find more information about Feynman statements, including books and articles written by or about Richard Feynman, as well as online resources such as websites and blogs.

3. How are Feynman statements relevant to science?

Feynman statements are relevant to science because they provide insight into the thought process and perspective of one of the most influential physicists of the 20th century. They also offer a unique and creative way of explaining complex scientific concepts.

4. Can anyone understand Feynman statements, even if they are not a scientist?

Yes, Feynman statements are meant to be understandable and relatable to a wide audience, not just scientists. They often use analogies and everyday examples to explain scientific ideas.

5. Are Feynman statements considered scientific evidence?

No, Feynman statements are not considered scientific evidence. They are simply quotes and sayings that offer insight and perspective, but do not have the same weight as empirical data or research findings.