PLz help me in this Corner Reflector Problem

• Thread starter shaiqbashir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflector
In summary, a corner reflector is a device made up of three perpendicular reflecting surfaces that can reflect a ray of light back along the line of incidence. The Apollo mission used this type of reflector on the moon in 1969. To solve a problem related to this device, consider the effect of reflection on the components of a vector describing the direction of the light ray. This information can be found in the "Retroreflection" section of the relevant text. The light ray's velocity will become parallel and opposite to its original direction after being reflected by each surface of the corner reflector.
shaiqbashir
Hi!

Well can u help me in this problem. it is related to a device called Corner Reflector.

" A corner reflector is formed by three mutually perpendicular reflecting surfaces. Show that a ray of light incident upon the corner reflector (striking all three surfaces) is reflected back along a line parallel to the line of incidence.(Hint: Consider the effect of a reflection on the components of a vector describing the direction of the light ray). The Apollo mission placed this type of reflector on the surface of the moon in 1969."

Please help me in this problem, i just don't know how to solve it. i have only two days left for my test. Plz Help

"Thanks in advance"

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe this coursework problem has been well-answered in the relevant section.

"Retroreflection," try finding it through the index of your text.

Just think about it. The light hits the "X" mirror (which is a 'square' facing down the X axis) and it's x velovity becomes -x. It hits the "Y" and its y velocity becomes -y, it hits the "Z" and its z velocity becomes -z.

So, in the end, it's velocity goes from x,y,z to -x,-y,-z. That velocity is parrallel and opposite the original one!

1. What is a corner reflector and how does it work?

A corner reflector is a type of antenna that is designed to reflect and focus radio waves in a specific direction. It consists of two or more flat metal surfaces positioned at a 90-degree angle to each other. The incoming radio waves bounce off the surfaces and are reflected back in the opposite direction, creating a concentrated beam of energy.

2. How can a corner reflector be used in scientific research?

Corner reflectors are commonly used in radar systems for measuring distances and detecting objects. They can also be used in satellite communications to improve signal strength and reduce interference. In scientific research, corner reflectors are often used in remote sensing applications to measure changes in land elevation or to track movements of glaciers and ice sheets.

3. What factors affect the performance of a corner reflector?

The size and shape of the reflector, as well as the material it is made of, can greatly impact its performance. The angle between the two surfaces, known as the dihedral angle, also plays a crucial role in determining the direction and strength of the reflected signal. Additionally, the frequency of the radio waves and any surrounding objects or interference can affect the reflector's performance.

4. Are there any limitations to using corner reflectors?

Yes, there are some limitations to using corner reflectors. The effectiveness of a corner reflector is dependent on the angle at which the incoming waves strike the surfaces. If the angle is too steep, the waves may not be reflected back as intended, resulting in a weaker signal. Additionally, corner reflectors are only effective for specific frequencies and may not work well for a wide range of radio waves.

5. How can I calculate the gain of a corner reflector?

The gain of a corner reflector can be calculated using its directivity, which is a measure of how focused the reflected signal is. Directivity can be determined by dividing the maximum radiation intensity of the reflector by the average radiation intensity. The gain is then calculated by multiplying the directivity by the efficiency of the reflector, which is typically around 70-80% for most corner reflectors.