What Quantities Are Zero for an Object Launched Parallel to the Ground?

In summary, the two quantities of an object launched parallel to the ground that are equal to zero are the initial vertical velocity and another quantity that is not specified. Neglecting air resistance, the object's vertical velocity at launch is zero.
unknownplaya
Hello. I have a question on this problem.
What are two quantities of an object launched parallel to the ground which are equal to zero?

I think one of the two is vertical velocity, but I'm not sure.

please help me with this problem. Thank you.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
unknownplaya said:
Hello. I have a question on this problem.
What are two quantities of an object launched parallel to the ground which are equal to zero?

I think one of the two is vertical velocity, but I'm not sure.

please help me with this problem. Thank you.:smile:

Welcome to the PF. You are correct that the initial vertical velocity is zero. What could the second quantity be? I'm guessing that you are to neglect air resistance in this problem?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out about your question on motion in a plane. I am happy to assist you with this problem.

To answer your question, the two quantities of an object launched parallel to the ground that are equal to zero are the vertical velocity and the vertical displacement. This means that at the highest point of the object's trajectory, the vertical velocity is zero and the object is not moving up or down, resulting in a zero vertical displacement.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding of this concept. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please do not hesitate to ask. Happy experimenting!

Related to What Quantities Are Zero for an Object Launched Parallel to the Ground?

1. What is motion in a plane?

Motion in a plane refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions, typically on a flat surface such as a table or a coordinate plane. It involves both horizontal and vertical motion, and can be described using vectors.

2. What are vectors?

Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude (size) and direction. In the context of motion in a plane, they are used to represent the displacement and velocity of an object.

3. How do you calculate displacement and velocity using vectors?

Displacement is calculated by finding the difference between an object's initial and final position, while velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement by the time interval over which it occurred. Both of these quantities can be represented using vectors.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion. This means that two objects can have the same speed but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

5. How is motion in a plane related to other concepts in physics?

Motion in a plane is closely related to other concepts in physics such as forces, acceleration, and Newton's laws of motion. It also forms the basis for more complex motions, such as projectile motion and circular motion, which are important in fields such as mechanics and astrophysics.