Points of Inflection, The Second Derivative Test.

In summary, the conversation discusses using the table of signs to check for the existence of a point of inflection when y'' = 0. It is necessary to check the values of y'' at both sides of the point x0, with values slightly smaller and larger than x0, to ensure that there are no local maxima/minima that could alter the value of y''. This is important in cases where the location of all the stationary points is not known.
MisterMan
Hi, I am having a little trouble understanding something my lecturer said about using the table of signs to check whether there exists a point of inflection when y'' = 0. I understand that in order for there to be a point of inflection at x0 say, I require to check the value of y'' at either side of the value x0, and if the value of y'' changes sign ( from positive to negative or vice versa ) then an inflection point exists at x0.

The problem I am having is that my lecturer said when checking the sign at either side of x0, you choose values a little bit smaller and a little bit larger than x0. I don't understand why this is needed, I believe his explanation to be that there might be local maxima/minima that alter the value of y'' or something, but I'm not totally sure if that is what he said or why it is necessary to choose values close to x0 as even if that was what he said, we calculate the minima/maxima prior to working out the possible inflection points. I hope I have made myself clear and any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MisterMan! :wink:
MisterMan said:
I understand that in order for there to be a point of inflection at x0 say, I require to check the value of y'' at either side of the value x0, and if the value of y'' changes sign ( from positive to negative or vice versa ) then an inflection point exists at x0.

The problem I am having is that my lecturer said when checking the sign at either side of x0, you choose values a little bit smaller and a little bit larger than x0. I don't understand why this is needed …

It depends whether you know where all the stationary points (y'' = 0) are …

if you do, then you can check anywhere between that stationary point and the two on either side (or anywhere on one side, if there's no stationary point on that side), since it (obviously) can't change sign between stationary points! …

but if you don't know, you need to be careful, and choose points very close. :smile:

1. What is a point of inflection?

A point of inflection is a point on a curve where the concavity changes. This means that the curve changes from being concave up to concave down, or vice versa.

2. How can I identify points of inflection?

To identify points of inflection, you can use the second derivative test. This involves taking the second derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. The x-values that satisfy this equation are the potential points of inflection. You can then use the first derivative test to confirm if they are true points of inflection.

3. What is the second derivative test?

The second derivative test is a method for determining the nature of stationary points on a curve. It involves taking the second derivative of the function and analyzing its sign at a given point. If the second derivative is positive, the point is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the point is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, further analysis is needed to determine the nature of the point.

4. Can a point of inflection also be a local minimum or maximum?

Yes, a point of inflection can also be a local minimum or maximum. This occurs when the second derivative is equal to zero at the point, but the first derivative is not equal to zero. In this case, the point is not a true point of inflection, but rather a point of change in concavity.

5. How is the second derivative test used in real-world applications?

The second derivative test is used in real-world applications to analyze the behavior of curves and determine important points, such as maximum and minimum values. It is commonly used in economics, physics, and engineering to optimize functions and make predictions based on the behavior of a curve.