POL converters or DC-DC converters

• Thread starter rama1001
  • Start date
Hi,
I understand the basic thing about DC-DC to converter but doubtful on POL converter. What exactly mean by point of load converter. Can any one explain me clear and short in good way.

Answers and Replies

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Hi Rama

ok they are basically the same thing :) its just their positioning in the equip that is the difference

I have noticed this more and more on gear I service .... instead of the PUS's being centrally placed and voltages distributed all over the board/s.
The trend now is to place small hi efficiency DC-DC buck converters right at the POL.
All the buck converters (with their various voltage rails) are all fed from a central higher voltage and well regulated AC-DC ( or DC-DC in the case of portable gear) PSU.
the final regulation is done on the PCB right at the point of load instead of off board or at the far end of a larger PCB.

cheers
Dave

Hi Rama

ok they are basically the same thing :) its just their positioning in the equip that is the difference

I have noticed this more and more on gear I service .... instead of the PUS's being centrally placed and voltages distributed all over the board/s.
The trend now is to place small hi efficiency DC-DC buck converters right at the POL.
All the buck converters (with their various voltage rails) are all fed from a central higher voltage and well regulated AC-DC ( or DC-DC in the case of portable gear) PSU.
the final regulation is done on the PCB right at the point of load instead of off board or at the far end of a larger PCB.

cheers
Dave
I remember reading an article that Google re-engineered there servers to run on 12V power supplies, supposedly to improve efficiency by a small amount. I remember wondering how they would get the chips to work, if they had to re-engineer those too. Point-of-Load regulation seems more like what might have been done, you think that's a plausible explanation for what I read?