Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar bear family's noise seal feast!

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Wow.

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3

rhody

Gold Member

In the end of the video, you can see the cubs squabbling and grunting as well, if you want to call it that. Don't mess with that threesome for sure.

Rhody...

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The seal tried that, I think..

6. Sep 8, 2011 #5
    They've got really sensitive noses and are probably complaining the cameraman stinks so bad its ruining their dinner. A dog might have a few sweat glands, but humans have hundreds and are particularly smelly animals. I've heard in some parts of China the locals will all get off the bus if a westerner gets on. They don't eat dairy products and the smell all but makes their eyes water.

7. Sep 8, 2011 #6

wukunlin

Gold Member

makes sense, we don't need to stick our noses in each others excretion organs to tell the smell

Oh its the dairy products. I can recall the first time I moved to a western country there is always a distinct scent among people, didn't take long to get used to though...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  8. Sep 8, 2011 #7
    There's been all kinds of speculation about why the human sense of smell is so poor compared to other animals, but its pretty obvious sniffing each other's butts and marking our territory with excrement is pointless. Dogs won't hesitate to roll in the scent of dead animals and skunks, but still occasionally sneeze and back away from people. No doubt most animals consider humans to be pretty bizarre and exotic in a number of ways.

9. Sep 9, 2011 #8
    "Lookee there at that one walking around on his hind legs! Who does he think he is, anyway? An angry bear?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook