Polar bear family's noise seal feast

In summary, the video shows a she-bear and her two cubs devouring a seal, while mummy bear is growling for miles around to be heard, to warn off others from getting too close. The seal tried that, I think..They've got really sensitive noses and are probably complaining the cameraman stinks so bad its ruining their dinner. A dog might have a few sweat glands, but humans have hundreds and are particularly smelly animals.
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow.

arildno said:
This unique 6-minute video shows a she-bear and her two cubs devouring a seal, while mummy bear is growling for miles around to be heard, to warn off others from getting too close.
http://www.dagbladet.no/2011/09/07/nyheter/innenriks/isbjorn/dyrenes_nyheter/17989869/

In the end of the video, you can see the cubs squabbling and grunting as well, if you want to call it that. Don't mess with that threesome for sure.

Rhody...

rhody said:
. Don't mess with that threesome for sure.

Rhody...

The seal tried that, I think..

They've got really sensitive noses and are probably complaining the cameraman stinks so bad its ruining their dinner. A dog might have a few sweat glands, but humans have hundreds and are particularly smelly animals. I've heard in some parts of China the locals will all get off the bus if a westerner gets on. They don't eat dairy products and the smell all but makes their eyes water.

wuliheron said:
They've got really sensitive noses and are probably complaining the cameraman stinks so bad its ruining their dinner. A dog might have a few sweat glands, but humans have hundreds and are particularly smelly animals.
makes sense, we don't need to stick our noses in each others excretion organs to tell the smell

wuliheron said:
I've heard in some parts of China the locals will all get off the bus if a westerner gets on. They don't eat dairy products and the smell all but makes their eyes water.
Oh its the dairy products. I can recall the first time I moved to a western country there is always a distinct scent among people, didn't take long to get used to though...

Last edited:
wukunlin said:
makes sense, we don't need to stick our noses in each others excretion organs to tell the smell

Oh its the dairy products. I can recall the first time I moved to a western country there is always a distinct scent among people, didn't take long to get used to though...

There's been all kinds of speculation about why the human sense of smell is so poor compared to other animals, but its pretty obvious sniffing each other's butts and marking our territory with excrement is pointless. Dogs won't hesitate to roll in the scent of dead animals and skunks, but still occasionally sneeze and back away from people. No doubt most animals consider humans to be pretty bizarre and exotic in a number of ways.

wuliheron said:
No doubt most animals consider humans to be pretty bizarre and exotic in a number of ways.

"Lookee there at that one walking around on his hind legs! Who does he think he is, anyway? An angry bear?"

1. What is a "Polar bear family's noise seal feast"?

A "Polar bear family's noise seal feast" refers to the sounds made by a family of polar bears as they hunt and eat a seal. This term is often used in wildlife documentaries or research to describe the vocalizations and noises made by polar bears during a seal hunt.

2. Why do polar bears hunt seals?

Polar bears hunt seals for survival and as their primary source of food. Seals are high in fat and provide the necessary energy for polar bears to survive the harsh Arctic environment. Polar bears are also adapted to hunt seals on sea ice, making them a key part of their diet.

3. How do polar bears hunt and eat seals?

Polar bears use their excellent sense of smell and powerful swimming abilities to locate and catch seals. They will often wait by seal breathing holes in the sea ice or ambush them as they surface to breathe. Once they catch a seal, polar bears will use their sharp claws and teeth to kill and eat it.

4. Do polar bears always hunt seals in a family group?

No, polar bears typically hunt and feed alone. However, in certain situations, such as during mating season or when a large food source is available, polar bears may hunt and eat together as a family or group.

5. What role does noise play in a polar bear's hunt for seals?

Noise can play a crucial role in a polar bear's hunt for seals. Polar bears have excellent hearing and can detect the breathing holes and movements of seals under the sea ice. They also use vocalizations and growls to communicate with other polar bears and coordinate their hunting efforts.