1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar Coordinates inverse Radius

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to turn this homework in online... I just want someone to check my work
    Convert from Cartesian coordinates to Polar coordinates
    (-1,-sqrt(3))
    if r > 0 and if r < 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    if r > 0 then I believe the answer is
    (r,∅) = (2,4.2)
    if r < 0 then i'm a bit confused, is the only difference I make the 2 negative?
    so
    (r,∅) = (-2,4.2)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2013 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

I guess you can't write the angle in terms of pi in the online system?
    No.

Consider another example. The point (1, 1) (rectangular coordinates) is (sqrt 2, π/4) in polar coordinates. Imagine yourself standing at the origin. (sqrt 2, π/4) would mean that you would turn to face the π/4 "direction" and walk sqrt 2 units forward.

If r is negative, then you would walk backwards while still facing the direction indicated by θ. So if you look at (-sqrt 2, π/4), you would turn and face the π/4 "direction" and walk sqrt 2 units backwards. You see how this is not the same as (1, 1) in rectangular coordinates? In fact,
    (-sqrt 2, π/4) (polar) = (-1, -1) (rectangular).

So, if you want r to be negative, what to do? You have to add/subtract π radians, to turn and face the opposite direction. If you look at (-sqrt 2, 5π/4), you face the 5π/4 "direction" and walk sqrt 2 units backwards. You end up at (1, 1) (rectangular).

Now fix your second point.

4. Sep 7, 2013 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

What do you mean by "if [itex]r[/itex] is negative"? By definition in polar coordinates [itex]r>0[/itex].

Further you didn't give the relevant equations, which indeed help to solve the problem. If you have given Cartesian coordinates [itex](x,y)[/itex] of a vector you want to find [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]\varphi[/itex] such that
    [tex](x,y)=r(\cos \varphi,\sin \varphi).[/tex]
    From this you get
    [tex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\varphi=\mathrm{sign} (y) \arccos \left (\frac{x}{r} \right ),[/tex]
    where the range of the angle is [itex]\varphi \in [-\pi,\pi][/itex]. You can always add integer multiples of [itex]2 \pi[/itex] to this [itex]\varphi[/itex].

NB: Sometimes you find sloppy formulas involving [itex]\tan \varphi[/itex]=y/x. This is dangerous, because you have to think in addition, in which quadrant the original vector is located and then adapt the result accordingly by hand!

5. Sep 9, 2013 #4

eumyang

Homework Helper

According to Larson's Precalculus (8th ed., p. 777-778), r is the directed distance from O (the origin) to P (the point), and it proceeds to show examples with a negative r. Paul's Online Math Notes also state that "we also allow r to be negative."
    :confused:

6. Sep 9, 2013 #5
    Well, r can be negative, as 'r' is defined as directed distance ie. wrt angle in question. Just verified it with Thomas' Calculus 11th ed.

7. Sep 9, 2013 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

These seem to be very strange books then! I've never heard about defining [itex]r<0[/itex] for plane or spherical polar coordinates ever, and it's not necessary!

8. Sep 9, 2013 #7

CAF123

Gold Member

I read it in my book too, but I would agree I have never had to define r < 0. Nor in any polar coordinates application to physics problems.

9. Sep 9, 2013 #8

Its a pretty redundant concept as far as physics is concerned, though its useful to use it when finding intersection of two curves when only one representation of a point fits the equations, you will often get negative r then.

10. Sep 9, 2013 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you don't consider ##r<0## when you plot it, you don't get all three leaves of the 3-leaved rose ##r=\sin(3\theta),~0 \le \theta \le\ pi##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted