Polar-parametric transformation

In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of transforming a parametric equation into a polar equation. The participants discussed the use of different coordinate systems and provided an example of a hypocycloid curve in parametric coordinates. They also mentioned the calculation of eliminating the parameter and gave advice to give up on inverting the equation due to its difficulty. The conversation ended with a humorous exchange about names and signatures.
Moore1879
Is it possible to transform a parametric "equation" into a polar equation? If so how would I go about it?

Thanks for reading.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Moore1879 said:
Is it possible to transform a parametric "equation" into a polar equation? If so how would I go about it?
Thanks for reading.

If the fomulae relating various coordinate systems are diffemorphisms,then why not??Bring an example.A (plane) curve in parametric coordinates.And tell us what u gave to do to express it in (plane) polar coordinates.

Daniel.

If I'm given the parametric equations for a hypocycloid:
x(t)=(a/n)[(n-1)cos(t)-cos[(n-1)t]
y(t)-(a/n)[(n-1)sin(t)+sin[(n-1)t]

how would I go about putting it into a function form [tex]r(\theta)[\tex].
There has to be some way to do it. What would it be?

Thanks

If I'm given the parametric equations for a hypocycloid:
x(t)=(a/n)[(n-1)cos(t)-cos[(n-1)t]
y(t)-(a/n)[(n-1)sin(t)+sin[(n-1)t]

how would I go about putting it into a function form [tex]r(\theta)[/tex].
There has to be some way to do it. What would it be?

Thanks

That's a horrible curve... Anyway'ill let u do the calculations of eliminating the parameter. :biggrin:
[tex] \rho (t)=\sqrt{x^{2}(t)+y^{2}(t)} [/tex]
[tex] \theta(t)=\arctan({\frac{y(t)}{x(t)}}) [/tex]

Express [itex] t(\theta) [/itex] and plug it into [itex] \rho(t) [/itex].

Daniel.

PS.My advice:GIVE UP!It's enough to know that it's possible. :wink:

Last edited:
Thanks Kurt? I assume that is your name. That is all I needed. Oh, and I'm not going to give it up. :wink:

Moore1879 said:
Thanks Kurt? I assume that is your name. That is all I needed. Oh, and I'm not going to give it up. :wink:

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: My name is Daniel.I write it all the time.
That is a "signature".It's edited from the "USER CP" box.Kurt Lewin was a theorist and i loved his idea and decided to quote him.

Daniel.Really,no bull****.

It's much easier to find [tex]t(\rho)[/tex] than [tex]t(\theta)[/tex]
Then, you might invert [tex]\theta(\rho)[/tex] into [tex]\rho(\theta)[/tex]
the inversion is practically impossible to perform, so I concur with Daniel's advice.

Related to Polar-parametric transformation

1. What is polar-parametric transformation?

Polar-parametric transformation is a mathematical technique used to convert coordinates from a Cartesian (x,y) system to a polar (r,θ) system. This transformation is useful for analyzing data that has a circular or radial pattern.

2. How is polar-parametric transformation different from other coordinate transformations?

Polar-parametric transformation uses a combination of polar and parametric equations to map points from one coordinate system to another. This technique is different from other transformations, such as rotation or translation, which only use one type of equation.

3. What are the applications of polar-parametric transformation?

Polar-parametric transformation is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is particularly useful for analyzing circular motion, such as the motion of planets around a sun, or for creating curved shapes in computer graphics.

4. How is polar-parametric transformation related to polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a special case of polar-parametric transformation, where the parametric equation is simply a function of the angle θ. In other words, polar coordinates are a subset of the larger set of transformations that use both polar and parametric equations.

5. Can polar-parametric transformation be reversed?

Yes, polar-parametric transformation can be reversed by using the inverse equations to convert coordinates back from polar to Cartesian form. This allows for data to be analyzed and visualized in both coordinate systems.