1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar vector to rectangular equation

1. Oct 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem I'm stuck on is to come up with an equation which will model the path of the projectile in an xy-plane.
    We are given:
    r(t)={ [(v0cos(θ))t], [h+(v0sin(θ))t-(½)gt2] }
    v0=100 ft/s
    θ=60°
    h=4 ft
    so basically,
    r(t)={[100cos(60)t], [4+100sin(60)t-16t2]}
    2. Relevant equations
    I know that:
    x=rcosθ
    y=rsinθ
    tanθ=y/x

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to get the t out for both components.
    x=100cos(60)t
    x=50t
    t=x/50

y=4+100sin(60)t-16t2
    y=4+86.6t-16t2
    I used the quadratic equation and ended up with
    t(0)=(-86.6±88.1)/8 =-21.83, 0.1875
    I thought that when I solved for the t's and set them equal to each other, I would get an equation in xy coordinates but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I also tried to use x=rcosθ
    since x=50t,
    50t=rcos(60)
    r=100t
    x2+y2=r2
    so (50t)2+y2=(100t)2
    y2ends up equalling 7500t2
    and I'm back to being stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi ace, welcome to PF :smile: !
    Seems to me you mistake r(t) for a vector in polar coordinates ##\vec r(t) =(r(t),\theta(t))##.
    It is given to you already in cartesian (rectangular) coordinates: ##\vec r(t) = (x(t), y(t))##

My guess is you now need to convert to y(x) to draw the trajectory (but I can't conclude that from the problem statement -- could also be the exercise wants ##(r(t),\theta(t)) ##

[edit] when I read again, I think you are well underway writing ##x(t) = v_0\cos\theta t \Rightarrow t = x/(v_0\cos\theta)## and substitute that t in the expression for y.

4. Oct 15, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

These equations in Section 2 are unnecessary.

Why? Don't you think the path of a projectile depends on the time variable t?

This is an example of what is known as a parametric equation, one where the values of x and y depend on, or are expressed, in terms of another variable called a parameter. In this case, the parameter is time, or t. Sometimes the parameter can be eliminated, but this is not always necessary nor desirable.

You had your answer back at the beginning:

r(t)={[100cos(60)t], [4+100sin(60)t-16t2]}

All you needed to do was evaluate the terms of r(t) for which you were given values (like h and θ) and express r(t) in terms of t.

x(t) = 50t
    y(t) = 4 + 86.6t-16t2

If you want to plot r(t), all you need to do is substitute different values of the parameter t and you can determine x(t) and y(t) from those.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted