1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral with polar coordinates

1. May 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It is given a set defined as: 0≤x≤1, 0≤y≤1-x. With x,y in ℝ.

f(x,y)=1 (plane parallel to Oxy plane)

They ask you to express the integral ∫∫Setf(x,y)dxdy in polar coordinates and calculate it.

2. Relevant equations

x=rcosθ
    y=rsenθ
    r=√x2+y2

3. The attempt at a solution

I've done the variable substitution as:

0≤rcosθ≤1, 0≤rsenθ≤1-cosθ and ∫∫Setrdrdθ

After analysing it for a bit I figured that 0≤r≤1 and that 0≤θ≤[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].
    However, the solution to the integral is 0.5. For the limits I've established, it gives me [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex].

I can easily calculate that integral in x,y coordinates but I'm having trouble defining the endpoints of r and θ when changing a set from x,y coordinates to r and θ coordinates.

Can you help me with this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##r## doesn't go from 0 to 1. In your picture, pick some ##\theta## and draw the ##r## for that ##\theta##. ##r## goes from 0 to the ##r## value on the line. So write the equation of the line in polar coordinates and solve it for ##r##. That is your upper limit on ##r##.

4. May 14, 2012 #3

sharks

Gold Member

What's senθ? :smile:

Using your given limits for x and y, you should draw the graph, so you can understand and derive the limits for polar coordinates.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  5. May 14, 2012 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook