Polarization Prob | Reducing Intensity at 62° Angle

In summary, when two polarizers are oriented at 62° to one another, light polarized at a 31° angle to each polarizer will pass through both. The reduction in intensity that takes place can be calculated using the equation I=IoCos^2((-)). In this case, a reduction of 16% is observed. However, there may be some uncertainty in the calculation due to the fact that light that did not go through the first polarizer may still hit the second one. Further clarification is needed to fully understand the impact of this on the reduction in intensity.
Galahad43

Homework Statement

Two polarizers are oriented at 62° to one another. Light polarized at a 31° angle to each polarizer passes through both. What reduction in intensity takes place?
___.%

Homework Equations

I=IoCos^2((-))

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried suing the above equation, and got 16%. I don't know how to deal with the fact that light that did not go through the first polarizer is hitting the second one> Please help. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Galahad43 said:
Tried suing the above equation, and got 16%.
Sounds good to me.
I don't know how to deal with the fact that light that did not go through the first polarizer is hitting the second one
What do you mean?

1. What is polarization probability?

Polarization probability refers to the likelihood that a photon will be polarized when passing through a polarizing filter. It is dependent on the angle of incidence and the properties of the material used for the filter.

2. How is polarization probability measured?

Polarization probability can be measured using tools such as a polarimeter, which measures the intensity of light passing through a polarizing filter at different angles. The ratio of the intensity at a specific angle to the intensity at 90° is the polarization probability.

3. What factors affect polarization probability?

The angle of incidence, the material and thickness of the polarizing filter, and the wavelength of the light are all factors that can affect polarization probability. Additionally, the alignment and quality of the polarizing filter can also impact the polarization probability.

4. How can polarization probability be increased?

Polarization probability can be increased by using a thicker polarizing filter, a larger angle of incidence, or a material with a higher polarization index. Additionally, using multiple polarizing filters in series can also increase the polarization probability.

5. Why is intensity reduced at a 62° angle?

The intensity of light is reduced at a 62° angle because this is the angle at which the polarizing filter transmits the least amount of light. This is due to the properties of the material used in the filter and the alignment of its molecules, which allows only a certain orientation of light waves to pass through.