Polarizations of vector/tensor fields

• Thread starter michael879
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the conversation discusses the polarization states of vector and tensor fields, and how they are reduced when certain conditions are applied. The question is about which polarization states are summed over in the field operator, and the answer depends on the framework being used. In the usual approach, the gauge condition is only imposed on external lines and internal lines are summed over all 4 or 10 polarizations. However, for free massless fields, the number of polarizations is reduced to 2 and 2 for gravity after imposing the covariant gauge condition.
michael879
ok this is a really simple question but I've spent 30 minutes searching and can't find a definitive answer. I'm working with a tensor field right now (linearized graviton) and I'm trying to generalize all the vector field stuff to it. One thing I'm confused about is the polarization states.

I understand that vector fields have 4 polarizations, and (symmetric) tensor fields have 10.
Setting the gauge reduces this to 3 and 6
Setting the fields massless reduces this to 2 and 3

My question is in the field operator, which polarization states do you sum over? Is it 3 or 4 for vector fields, and is it 6 or 10 for tensor fields? I understand why its not 2 and 3 respectively, but my QFT book sums over 4 photon polarizations in the definition of A and I just can't understand why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Setting the fields massless reduces this to 2 and 3
Actually, the number of polarizations is reduced to 2 and 2. Free massless fields always have two helicity states. For gravity after imposing the covariant gauge condition (four conditions) the remaining freedom is ◻ξμ = 0 (four more conditions).
which polarization states do you sum over?
Answer depends on which framework you're using, but in the usual approach the gauge condition is imposed only on the mass shell (external lines only) and internal lines are summed over all 4 (or 10) polarizations.

1. What is the difference between scalar and vector fields?

A scalar field is a mathematical function that assigns a single value to every point in space. This value can represent a physical quantity such as temperature or pressure. A vector field, on the other hand, assigns a vector (magnitude and direction) to each point in space. Examples of vector fields include electric and magnetic fields.

2. How are vector fields polarized?

Vector fields can be polarized by breaking them down into their components and analyzing the orientation of these components at each point in space. This allows us to determine the direction and strength of the polarization at a given point.

3. What is the significance of polarization in physics?

Polarization plays an important role in many physical phenomena, such as light and electromagnetic waves. It can affect the behavior and interactions of these fields, leading to a better understanding of the underlying principles of physics.

4. What is the difference between linear and circular polarization?

Linear polarization refers to the alignment of vector components in a straight line, while circular polarization refers to the alignment of vector components in a circular pattern. Linear polarization can be further classified as horizontal, vertical, or diagonal, while circular polarization can be clockwise or counterclockwise.

5. How can polarization be manipulated or controlled?

Polarization can be manipulated or controlled through the use of polarizing filters, which can selectively allow or block certain orientations of vector components. This is commonly used in optics and telecommunications to control the direction and strength of light waves.