Police car's acceleration physics problem

In summary, The police car travels a total of 95 km/h and the speeder travels 140 km/h. 1.00 s after the speeder passes, the policeman steps on the accelerator and the police car's acceleration is 2.00 m/s2. If the police car's acceleration is measured at t=15 seconds after the speeder passed, then the police car overtakes the speeder at t=14.4 seconds.
physicsss
A police car traveling a constant 95 km/h is passed by a speeder traveling 140 km/h. Precisely 1.00 s after the speeder passes, the policeman steps on the accelerator. If the police car's acceleration is 2.00 m/s2, how much time passes after the speeder passes before the police car overtakes the speeder (assumed moving at constant speed)?

I converted 95 km/h to 40 m/s, and 95 to 26 m/s, then I use the equation

x = x + v*t + 1/2 * a *t^2
40 m/s * t + 40 m = 0 + 26 m/s * t +1/2*2.0*t^2

t=15, but that's wrong...any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]95t+\frac{1}{2}at^2=140(t+1)[/tex]

... where a is the acceleration with appropriate units, of course! :-)

I still get t=15 with that equation. :confused:

You did? I got 6.3 minutes if I did my arithmetic right - seems too long though! Check to see if you converted the units on your acceleration correctly.

well, since the final answer is in seconds, I converted 140 km/h and 95km/h to m/s. So

95km/h * 1h/60min * 1min/60s * 1000m/1km= 26.389 m/s and
140km/h * 1h/60min * 1min/60s * 1000m/1km= 38.889 m/s.

so 26.389*t+1/2*2.0*t^2=38.889(t+1)
and t=15 s.

:bugeye:

Oh! The t+1 in my original equation was incorrect. I was mixing seconds with hours. When I correct for that I get something closer to what you have (15.9s).

How do you know your answer is wrong?

The homework is online and when I entered 15s and submitted, it said it was incorrect.

You are getting distance, not acceleration, from that formula. The original formula Tide gave is correct. You need only solve for time. Keep trying.

Last edited:
Chronos, can you clarify what you said?

Tide said:
[tex]95t+\frac{1}{2}at^2=140(t+1)[/tex]
This isn't quite right for several reasons.

Measuring everything from the moment the speeder passes the police car (at t = 0):
Distance police car travels: [itex]x_p = v_p t + \frac{1}{2}a(t-1)^2[/itex], note that acceleration only begins at t = 1 second, [itex]v_p[/itex] is the initial speed of the police car in m/s.
Distance speeder travels: [itex]x_s = v_s t[/itex], [itex]v_s[/itex] is the speed of the speeder in m/s.

So, when the police car overtakes the speeder:
[tex]v_p t + \frac{1}{2}a(t-1)^2 = v_s t[/tex]
All times measured in seconds. Now plug in your values and solve for t.

Thanks, Al, I stand corrected!

I got 14.4 seconds, is that correct?

1. What is the physics behind a police car's acceleration?

The acceleration of a police car is determined by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In simpler terms, the more force that is applied to the car, the faster it will accelerate. This force is generated by the engine and transmitted to the wheels through the transmission system.

2. How does the weight of a police car affect its acceleration?

The weight of a police car, which is determined by its mass, can affect its acceleration by increasing the amount of force needed to move the car. This is because the heavier the car, the more inertia it has, making it more difficult to change its state of motion. Therefore, a heavier police car may require a more powerful engine to achieve the same acceleration as a lighter car.

3. What is the role of friction in a police car's acceleration?

Friction plays a crucial role in a police car's acceleration. The friction between the car's tires and the road surface helps to provide the necessary traction for the car to move forward. Without friction, the wheels would just spin in place, and the car would not be able to accelerate. Therefore, a car with better traction, such as one with new tires, will have a faster acceleration than a car with worn-out tires.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect a police car's acceleration?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect a police car's acceleration. These include the aerodynamics of the car, the condition of the road surface, and the efficiency of the car's transmission system. Any external forces, such as wind or inclines, can also affect the acceleration of a police car.

5. How is the acceleration of a police car measured?

The acceleration of a police car can be measured using a device called an accelerometer. This device measures the changes in speed and direction of the car and calculates the acceleration. Additionally, the car's speedometer can also be used to measure acceleration over a short distance, as acceleration is essentially a change in speed over time.