Maintenance-Free Shine: Choosing the Right Metal for Auto Emblems

In summary: The best stainless steel for a maintenance-free shine is Allegheny-Ludlum's, AL-6X (AL-6XN) and a similar one 254SMO.
david90
Which metallic material will have a maintenance free shine when polished? I want to machine auto emblems so I'm looking for a material that does not go dull when expose to the elements.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
For my money, good ol' nickel-chrome would be the choice.

is it an expensive process?

We jut had some spindles chromed for about $10 a piece. You have to shop around a bit, but it is not an expensive process.

I'd vote for german silver (or nickel silver). There's not really any silver in it. It's what most clarinet keys are made of, for example. Anything that keeps its shine in the presence of spit should work OK.

david90 said:
Which metallic material will have a maintenance free shine when polished? I want to machine auto emblems so I'm looking for a material that does not go dull when expose to the elements.

Thanks!
What is the environment? pH and chloride/NaCl content can undermine chrome or Ni-chrome if sufficient iron is present.

Metals will ultimately oxidize in air, particularly moist air. Chromium forms a protective oxide and that's what gives stainless steels their shiny appearance. Chrome plating is oneway.

Perhaps one of the best stainless steels for an environment with chlorides, is Allegheny-Ludlum's, AL-6X (AL-6XN) and a similar one 254SMO. Both have 6% Mo.

http://www.alleghenytechnologies.com/ludlum/pages/products/xq/asp/P.40/qx/product.html

http://www.oceanint.com/content3/materials/6moly.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points, TVP45 and Astro. Since David specified 'auto emblems', I assumed a normal road environment. One should never assume. I'm ashamed to admit that after 30+ years as a locksmith, I didn't realize that there's no real silver in 'nickel-silver'. That's what most keys are coated with (over brass). I didn't mention it because I thought that the (non-existent) silver content would make it too expensive. It does have a tendency to peel if an edge becomes exposed, but so does chrome.

The trim work on the pre-war Hispano-Suizas were solid nickel-silver
as was the radiator on one of the Bugattis (now there's a comeback for the people that think radiators have to be flat black). One of the interesting things about aging is how much completely useless information I know so well and yet I can't remember the day of the week.

Well, you might be ancient, but look on the bright side... Integral is the sum of all ages on PF. I'm sure that there's something in my great great great grandfather's journals about having a beer with him once.

I'm not that ancient - I just burned the candle at both ends for too darn many decades.

TVP45 said:
I just burned the candle at both ends for too darn many decades.

Slacker! Mine was lit in the middle as well. :tongue:

what about good ol' stainless, perhaps one of the better grades. The trim onmy 57 Chev has a lot of stainless, been good for years

Stay Hep
Greg

What is the purpose of "Maintenance-Free Shine" for auto emblems?

The purpose of "Maintenance-Free Shine" is to provide a long-lasting and shiny finish on auto emblems without the need for frequent maintenance or polishing. This helps to keep the emblems looking new and attractive for a longer period of time.

Why is it important to choose the right metal for auto emblems?

Choosing the right metal for auto emblems is important because different metals have different properties and characteristics. Some metals may be more resistant to corrosion, scratches, or fading, while others may be more prone to damage. By choosing the right metal, you can ensure that your auto emblems will maintain their shine and durability for a longer time.

What are some popular metals used for auto emblems?

Some popular metals used for auto emblems include stainless steel, chrome, and aluminum. These metals are known for their durability, resistance to corrosion, and ability to maintain a shiny finish. They are also lightweight and easy to work with, making them ideal for use in auto emblems.

How can I determine which metal is best for my specific needs?

To determine which metal is best for your specific needs, consider factors such as the climate and environment where the vehicle will be used, the desired aesthetic appearance, and the budget. It may also be helpful to consult with a professional to get advice on which metal would be most suitable for your specific situation.

Are there any maintenance tips for prolonging the shine of auto emblems?

Yes, there are a few maintenance tips that can help prolong the shine of auto emblems. These include regularly cleaning the emblems with a mild soap and water solution, avoiding harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, and using a protective coating to prevent scratches and fading. It is also important to regularly inspect and repair any damage to the emblems to prevent further deterioration.