1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial Algebra

1. Feb 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f(x) = anxn + an-1xn-1 + .... + a1x + a0 be a polynomial where the coefficients an, an-1, ... , a1, a0 are integers.

Suppose a0 is a positive power of a prime number p.

Show that if [itex]\alpha[/itex] is an integer for which f( [itex]\alpha[/itex] ) = 0, [itex]\alpha[/itex] is also a power of p.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I substituted [itex]\alpha[/itex] into the equation in the place of x for each term. I also substituted in pn in the place of a0 as this is a positive power of a prime number p (as given in the question). This gave me:

f([itex]\alpha[/itex]) = an[itex]\alpha[/itex]n + an-1[itex]\alpha[/itex]n-1 + .... + a1[itex]\alpha[/itex] + pn = 0

I then decided to isolate pn by moving the other terms to the other side of the equation which gave me:

pn = -{an[itex]\alpha[/itex]n + an-1[itex]\alpha[/itex]n-1 + .... + a1[itex]\alpha[/itex]}

Is what I have done so far correct? I now have to show from this that [itex]\alpha[/itex] is also a power of p. I'm unsure what the next step is to do that.

Can anyone help please?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know the rational root theorem?

4. Feb 19, 2014 #3
    You are correct so far. If you factor out alpha, then you will have that alpha divides ##p^n##.

5. Feb 20, 2014 #4

Thanks for your help. So because alpha divides p^n this means alpha is also a power of p I'm assuming.

6. Feb 20, 2014 #5
    Yep!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted