Existence of a Polynomial Divisor for Roots in a Field Extension

• Thread starter Jin314159
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the existence of a polynomial with coefficients in F that divides both f and g, where f and g are polynomials with coefficients from F and a is a common root of both f and g. Two cases are considered: when a is in F and when a is not in F. The second case involves showing that any polynomial with (t - a) as a factor must also have a factor with coefficients in F. This is done through induction and the uniqueness of a certain coefficient. The ultimate goal is to show that all polynomials with (t - a) as a factor can be factored by a polynomial h over F.
Jin314159
Given a field E which contains a field F. Let f and g be polynomials with coefficients from F. And let a be an element of E such that a is a root of both f and g. Prove that there exists a polynomial h with coefficients in F that divides both f and g.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, what you're looking for is a common factor of f and g, right?

To get you started:

Case 1: a is in F, then h(t) = (t - a) divides both f and g, and it clearly takes coefficients from F.

Case 2: a is not in F. Now f(t) and g(t) have a unique factorization in the form:

[tex]f(t) = c(\phi _1 (t))^{n_1}(\phi _2 (t))^{n_2} \dots (\phi _k (t))^{n_k}[/tex]

Where [itex]c[/itex] is some element of F, [itex]\forall \ i,\ \phi _i[/itex] is a monic irreducible polynomial, and [itex]n_i \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. We also know that for some i, let it arbitrarily be 1, [itex]\phi _1 (t) = (t - a)[/itex]. For simplicity sake, let c = 1 (and something should be similarly true for [itex]g(t)[/itex]). So:

[tex]f(t) = (t - a)^{n_1}(\phi _2 (t))^{n_2} \dots (\phi _k (t))^{n_k}[/tex]

[tex]g(t) = (t - a)^{m_1}(\psi _2 (t))^{m_2} \dots (\psi _l (t))^{m_l}[/tex]

You need to show that if f and g are to have only coefficients in F, then for some i and j such that [itex]1 \leq i \leq k[/itex] and [itex] 1 \leq j \leq l[/itex], [itex]\phi _i = \psi _j[/itex]. This will reduce to showing that any polynomial with (t - a) as a factor will have to have some factor with coefficients in F for the whole thing to have coefficients in F. We can write:

[tex]f(t) = (t - a)(t^N + a_{N - 1}t^{N - 1} + \dots + a_0)[/tex]

[tex]= t^{N + 1} + (a_{N - 1} - a)t^N + (a_{N - 2} - a_{N - 1}a)t^{N - 1} + \dots + (a_0 - a_1a)t + a_0a[/tex]

Note that N must be at least 1, otherwise if N were 0, you'd have f(t) being (t - a) times a non-zero constant, C, and Ct - Ca = f(t), but if Ca is in F, then C is not in F (recall that a was assumed (the whole point of the second case) to not be in F, so it's not zero, so it's inverse exists and is in E but not in F (otherwise if 1/a was in F, then since F is a field, 1/(1/a) = a would be in F, contradiction), so the coefficient of "t" is C which is not in F, so N really must be at least one).

At this point, I would try doing some induction on N to find out what form the polynomial [itex](t^N + a_{N - 1}t^{N - 1} + \dots + a_0)[/itex] must take in order for [itex](a_{N - 1} - a),\ (a_{N - 2} - a_{N - 1}a),\ \dots ,\ (a_0 - a_1a),\ a_0a[/itex] are in F. Then show that all polynomials f and g such that [itex](t^N + a_{N - 1}t^{N - 1} + \dots + a_0)[/itex] takes the required form must be factorizable by some polynomial h over F.

Start with n = 1. [itex]f(t) = (t - a)(t + a_0) = t^2 + (a_0 - a)t - a_0a[/itex]. Now [itex]a \in E,\ a \notin F,[itex] so [/itex]a \neq 0[/itex], but [itex]a_0a \in F[/itex], so [itex]a_0 = k/a[/itex] for some [itex]k /in E[/itex]. If k = 0, then the coefficient of "t" is not in F, so [itex]k \neq 0[/itex]. Now, we have:

[tex]a_0 - a = k/a - a \in F[/tex]

You want to convince yourself that the k is unique. Assume for some other [itex]K \in F,\ K \neq k[/itex] where clearly, [itex]K \neq 0[/itex], we have that [itex]K/a - a \in F[/itex]. Then:

[tex]K/a - a - (k/a - a) \in F[/tex]

[tex]K/a - k/a \in F[/tex]

[tex](1/a)(K - k) \in F[/tex]

[itex]K - k = La[/itex] for some [itex]L \in F[/itex]. Now if [itex]L \neq 0[/itex], then [itex]K = k + La[/itex] but [itex]k \in F[/itex], [itex]La \notin F[/itex], so [itex]k + La \notin F[/itex] while [itex]K \in F[/itex], contradiction, so [itex]L = 0[/itex], and hence [itex]K = k[/itex], so k is unique. Now, if you can show that every polynomial over F that has (t - a) as a factor must also have (t + k/a) as a factor, then you know that every such polynomial will have (t - a)(t + k/a) = t² + (k/a - a)t - k as it's factor, and h(t) = t² + (k/a - a)t - k is a polynomial over F.

I hope this is on the right track. I would hope you know some theorems that you can use to do this problem, I'm working with no special knowledge of the subject.

1. What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using operations of addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can have one or more terms, and the highest power of the variable is called the degree of the polynomial.

2. How do you solve a polynomial equation?

To solve a polynomial equation, you can use various methods such as factoring, using the quadratic formula, or using the Rational Root Theorem. The method used depends on the degree of the polynomial and the given information.

3. What is the difference between a polynomial and a field?

A polynomial is an algebraic expression, while a field is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of numbers and two operations, usually addition and multiplication. A polynomial can be an element of a field, and the operations performed on polynomials follow the same rules as those in a field.

4. Can polynomials have negative exponents?

No, polynomials cannot have negative exponents as they are only allowed to have whole-number exponents. If a polynomial has a negative exponent, it is not considered a polynomial but a rational function.

5. How are polynomials used in real life?

Polynomials have many practical applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and solve problems involving quantities that can change over time, distance, or other variables. For example, polynomials can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, determine the optimal production level for a company, or predict population growth.