Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial/Field problem

1. Nov 17, 2004 #1
    Given a field E which contains a field F. Let f and g be polynomials with coefficients from F. And let a be an element of E such that a is a root of both f and g. Prove that there exists a polynomial h with coefficients in F that divides both f and g.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So, what you're looking for is a common factor of f and g, right?

4. Nov 19, 2004 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To get you started:

Case 1: a is in F, then h(t) = (t - a) divides both f and g, and it clearly takes coefficients from F.

Case 2: a is not in F. Now f(t) and g(t) have a unique factorization in the form:

[tex]f(t) = c(\phi _1 (t))^{n_1}(\phi _2 (t))^{n_2} \dots (\phi _k (t))^{n_k}[/tex]

Where [itex]c[/itex] is some element of F, [itex]\forall \ i,\ \phi _i[/itex] is a monic irreducible polynomial, and [itex]n_i \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. We also know that for some i, let it arbitrarily be 1, [itex]\phi _1 (t) = (t - a)[/itex]. For simplicity sake, let c = 1 (and something should be similarly true for [itex]g(t)[/itex]). So:

[tex]f(t) = (t - a)^{n_1}(\phi _2 (t))^{n_2} \dots (\phi _k (t))^{n_k}[/tex]

[tex]g(t) = (t - a)^{m_1}(\psi _2 (t))^{m_2} \dots (\psi _l (t))^{m_l}[/tex]

You need to show that if f and g are to have only coefficients in F, then for some i and j such that [itex]1 \leq i \leq k[/itex] and [itex] 1 \leq j \leq l[/itex], [itex]\phi _i = \psi _j[/itex]. This will reduce to showing that any polynomial with (t - a) as a factor will have to have some factor with coefficients in F for the whole thing to have coefficients in F. We can write:

[tex]f(t) = (t - a)(t^N + a_{N - 1}t^{N - 1} + \dots + a_0)[/tex]

[tex]= t^{N + 1} + (a_{N - 1} - a)t^N + (a_{N - 2} - a_{N - 1}a)t^{N - 1} + \dots + (a_0 - a_1a)t + a_0a[/tex]

Note that N must be at least 1, otherwise if N were 0, you'd have f(t) being (t - a) times a non-zero constant, C, and Ct - Ca = f(t), but if Ca is in F, then C is not in F (recall that a was assumed (the whole point of the second case) to not be in F, so it's not zero, so it's inverse exists and is in E but not in F (otherwise if 1/a was in F, then since F is a field, 1/(1/a) = a would be in F, contradiction), so the coefficient of "t" is C which is not in F, so N really must be at least one).

At this point, I would try doing some induction on N to find out what form the polynomial [itex](t^N + a_{N - 1}t^{N - 1} + \dots + a_0)[/itex] must take in order for [itex](a_{N - 1} - a),\ (a_{N - 2} - a_{N - 1}a),\ \dots ,\ (a_0 - a_1a),\ a_0a[/itex] are in F. Then show that all polynomials f and g such that [itex](t^N + a_{N - 1}t^{N - 1} + \dots + a_0)[/itex] takes the required form must be factorizable by some polynomial h over F.

Start with n = 1. [itex]f(t) = (t - a)(t + a_0) = t^2 + (a_0 - a)t - a_0a[/itex]. Now [itex]a \in E,\ a \notin F,[itex] so [/itex]a \neq 0[/itex], but [itex]a_0a \in F[/itex], so [itex]a_0 = k/a[/itex] for some [itex]k /in E[/itex]. If k = 0, then the coefficient of "t" is not in F, so [itex]k \neq 0[/itex]. Now, we have:

[tex]a_0 - a = k/a - a \in F[/tex]

You want to convince yourself that the k is unique. Assume for some other [itex]K \in F,\ K \neq k[/itex] where clearly, [itex]K \neq 0[/itex], we have that [itex]K/a - a \in F[/itex]. Then:

[tex]K/a - a - (k/a - a) \in F[/tex]

[tex]K/a - k/a \in F[/tex]

[tex](1/a)(K - k) \in F[/tex]

[itex]K - k = La[/itex] for some [itex]L \in F[/itex]. Now if [itex]L \neq 0[/itex], then [itex]K = k + La[/itex] but [itex]k \in F[/itex], [itex]La \notin F[/itex], so [itex]k + La \notin F[/itex] while [itex]K \in F[/itex], contradiction, so [itex]L = 0[/itex], and hence [itex]K = k[/itex], so k is unique. Now, if you can show that every polynomial over F that has (t - a) as a factor must also have (t + k/a) as a factor, then you know that every such polynomial will have (t - a)(t + k/a) = t² + (k/a - a)t - k as it's factor, and h(t) = t² + (k/a - a)t - k is a polynomial over F.

I hope this is on the right track. I would hope you know some theorems that you can use to do this problem, I'm working with no special knowledge of the subject.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?