Is There an Easier Way to Understand Polynomial Inequalities?

In summary: That is, the solution set is (-infinity, -2)(4, infinity).In summary, inequalities on number line graphs can be solved by using a test point method or by finding the points where one of the factors goes to 0. It is only necessary to check one point in each interval, and the solution set is the union of all intervals where the polynomial has the same sign.
Pseudo Statistic
We just started these at school, but I have some questions..
Inequalities on number line (x) graphs..
Using x = 0 testpoint..
Let's say I have (x+2)(x-4) > 0, (0 + 2)(0 - 4) would be -8, and -8 !>0, so it would be a disjunction, right? But if it was positive and satisfied the inequality, it would be a conjunction, right?
OR what if it was < 0 instead, if it satisfied it would be a disjunction and if it didn't satisfy it would be a conjunction, right?
And let's say I have x(x-2)(x+4) > 0, the teacher taught us this method where we plot -4, 2 and 0 on a number line and place positive signs and negative signes over each one accordingly so that the satisfying inequality would be where the 3 signs ontop of each other would be + or -, according to the inequality...
IS there an easier way to do this?
I'm sorry that I don't make much sense, I'm in a hurry...
Hope someone can make sense of my words and help!
Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
there are ways ofcourse ... its simple logic most of the times ...

Anything greater than 0 indicates it is positive and anything less than 0 indicates it is negative ...

Now,
Take your example,
(x+2)(x-4)>0
This suggests to us that (x+2)(x-4) must be positive.

When is multiplication of two numbers positive?
we know that,
(negative)*(negative) = positive
(negative)*(positive) = negative
(positive)*(negative) = negative
(positive)*(positive) = positive

this suggests to us that,
either both (x+2) and (x-4) are positive
or both are negative

i.e (x+2)>0 and (x-4)>0
or
(x+2)<0 and (x-4)<0

x+2>0 implies x>-2
x-4>0 implies x>4
both of these conditions are true only if x>4

or

x+2<0 implies x<-2
x-4<0 implies x<4
both of these conditions are true only if x<-2

so u have the solution ...

I am not saying this is easier than the one proposed by your teacher (infact they are same). This infact is the wordy explanation of the method given by your teacher ... Can u see why??

-- AI

Heh, I still don't understand this method, but was curious if the one I had with the test point is right.

Pseudo Statistic said:
Heh, I still don't understand this method, but was curious if the one I had with the test point is right.

One good way to test such inequalities is to find the points where one of the factors goes to 0 (for (x-2)(x+3)<0, these are 2 and -3) and check a test point between each one.

One key point is that, if a polynomial is positive for x= x0 and negative for x= x1, then the value MUST BE 0 someplace between x0 and x1.

In particular, (x+2)(x-4)= 0 only at x= -2 and x= 4. Those two points divide the real number line into 3 intervals: x< -2, -2< x< 4, and x> 4. Since (x+2)(x-4) can CHANGE SIGN only at -2 and 4, it must have the SAME SIGN in each interval and it is only necessary to check on point in each.

Pick ANY number less than -2: -3 will work. (-3+2)(-3-4)= -1(-7)= +7> 0 so EVERY x< -2 makes (x+2)(x-4)>0.
Pick ANY number between -2 and 4: 0 is a simple choice. (0+2)(0-4)= 2(-4)= -8< 0 so EVERY x between -2 and 4 makes (x+2)(x-4)< 0.
Pick ANY number larger than 4: 5 is good. (5+2)(5-4)= 7(1)= 7> 0 so EVERY x> 4 makes (x+2)(x-4)> 0.

(x+ 2)(x- 4)> 0 for all x< -2 and x> 4.

What is a polynomial inequality?

A polynomial inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two polynomial expressions using inequality symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥.

What are the steps to solve a polynomial inequality?

The steps to solve a polynomial inequality are:

1. Isolate the polynomial expression on one side of the inequality sign.
  2. Find the roots of the polynomial expression, if any.
  3. Plot the roots on a number line.
  4. Choose a test point on each interval created by the roots.
  5. Substitute the test point into the polynomial expression and determine if it satisfies the inequality.
  6. If the test point satisfies the inequality, shade the corresponding interval on the number line. If not, leave it unshaded.
  7. The solution to the polynomial inequality will be the shaded intervals on the number line.

What is the difference between a polynomial equation and a polynomial inequality?

A polynomial equation is a mathematical statement that sets two polynomial expressions equal to each other, while a polynomial inequality compares two polynomial expressions using inequality symbols. The solution to a polynomial equation is a specific value or set of values, while the solution to a polynomial inequality is a range of values.

Can a polynomial inequality have more than one solution?

Yes, a polynomial inequality can have more than one solution. This is because the solution to a polynomial inequality is a range of values, rather than a specific value. The number of solutions will depend on the degree of the polynomial and the number of terms in the inequality.

Is there a shortcut method to solve polynomial inequalities?

Yes, there is a shortcut method called the "sign chart" or "interval notation" method. This method involves plotting the roots of the polynomial expression on a number line and using test points to determine the intervals where the expression is positive or negative. The solution to the inequality is then represented by the intervals where the expression is positive.