Proof by Contradiction: Irreducible Polynomials and Ideals

In summary, the conversation revolved around proving a statement using a proof by contradiction method. The participants discussed the use of irreducible polynomials and the fact that N is principal since F is a field. They also explored the concept of maximal ideals and concluded that <f(x)>=N and <g(x)>=N, leading to the contradiction that f(x)=g(x). They also discussed the possibility of <f(x)> being equal to {0}, which was ruled out since f(x) is supposed to be irreducible.
Syrus

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been attempting a proof by contradiction (for the last statement) for a while now, but I can't seem to reach a contradiction from these premises:

1 ≤ deg(f) ≤ deg(g) (without loss)
N ≠ F[x]
both f and g are irreducible over F
I also know that since F is a field, N is principal (by a lemma)

Attachments

• Abstract Algebra 7 ed.bmp
    292.3 KB · Views: 543
Physics news on Phys.org
Syrus said:

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been attempting a proof by contradiction (for the last statement) for a while now, but I can't seem to reach a contradiction from these premises:

1 ≤ deg(f) ≤ deg(g) (without loss)
N ≠ F[x]
both f and g are irreducible over F
I also know that since F is a field, N is principal (by a lemma)
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43713&d=1328829169

Having the image appear directly in this thread, may help someone to answer this.

If f(x) is irreducible, what can you say about (f(x)) in relation to N?? Are they equal?? (use that N is principal)

So since f(x) is irreducible over F[x], <f(x)> is maximal. Is this what you're getting at micromass?

Syrus said:
So since f(x) is irreducible over F[x], <f(x)> is maximal. Is this what you're getting at micromass?

Yes. So <f(x)>=N, right?? But if g(x) is irreducible, then also <g(x)>=N.

So <f(x)>=<g(x)>! Try to write out what that means.

I may be blanking, but how can we be sure that <f(x)> = N?

<f(x)> is maximal, N is an ideal that contains <f(x)>...

Foolish of me. Thank you.

So since <f(x)> = <g(x)>, {f(x)s(x) | s(x) in F[x]} = {g(x)r(x) | r(x) in F[x]}, which, for s(x), r(x) = 1, implies that f(x) = g(x), a contradiction since we assumed that f and g differ in degree.

Syrus said:
Foolish of me. Thank you.

So since <f(x)> = <g(x)>, {f(x)s(x) | s(x) in F[x]} = {g(x)r(x) | r(x) in F[x]}, which implies that f(x) = g(x), a contradiction since we assumed that f and g differ in degree.

No, that is not correct. You can't conclude that f(x)=g(x) because it is simply not true.

You now that f(x)=g(x)r(x) for some r. You also now that there is an s such that g(x)=f(x)s(x). Take the degrees of both equations.

Let deg(r) = j and let deg(s) = k.

deg(f) = m = deg(g) + deg(r) = n + j
deg(g) = n = deg(f) + deg(s) = m + k

So by substitution from above, n = (n + j) + k, which implies that j + k = 0. But the only way this is true is if j = k = 0, which is shows that m = n; a contradition.

Good!

Another way to prove it is to manipulate the equations directly to prove that r(x)s(x)=1 and therefore r(x) and s(x) are invertible and thus be an element of F

So now you know that if (f(x))=(g(x)) then there must be a c in F such that f(x)=cg(x)!

Well done!

One question remains: How do we know for sure that <f(x)> is not equal to {0}?

That would mean that f(x)=0. But f(x) is supposed to be irreducible, and 0 (by definition) isn't.

*embarrassed. I don't know why i keep wasting your time tonight micromass... I think too much problem solving for one day is drying me out. Much thanks =)

What are polynomials and ideals?

Polynomials are algebraic expressions that contain variables and coefficients, while ideals are subsets of polynomials that satisfy certain properties.

What is the difference between a polynomial and an ideal?

A polynomial is a single expression, while an ideal is a set of polynomials that can be added, subtracted, and multiplied by other polynomials to produce more elements in the set.

How are polynomials and ideals used in mathematics?

Polynomials and ideals are used in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra, number theory, and algebraic geometry. They are particularly useful in studying algebraic structures and solving equations.

What are some properties of ideals?

Ideals have the properties of closure, addition, and multiplication, which means that when two elements from the ideal are added or multiplied, the result is also in the ideal. They also have the property of absorbing, which means that when an element from the ideal is multiplied by an element outside the ideal, the result is still in the ideal.

How do polynomials and ideals relate to each other?

Ideals can be generated by polynomials, meaning that a polynomial can generate a set of polynomials that satisfy certain properties. Additionally, ideals can be used to factor polynomials, making them useful in solving equations.