Poor Connection: Troubleshooting Time Out Error

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the connection to PFs is slowing, the message "time out". or can not be found, is getting worse. It is possible that it is our side or theirs, but the db server is acting a little funky.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It seems the connection to PFs is slowing, the message "time out". or can not
be found", is getting worse, is it your side or ours?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you really get an email every time we get an error message? The error message says it will send an email to the admin, then advises to click refresh, at which time I get the same error saying it sent an email to report it. If it does, you must wind up with a full inbox in no time! :eek:

Moonbear said:
Do you really get an email every time we get an error message? The error message says it will send an email to the admin, then advises to click refresh, at which time I get the same error saying it sent an email to report it. If it does, you must wind up with a full inbox in no time! :eek:

yeah, I have about 1200 alert emails in my box right now

Moonbear said:
Do you really get an email every time we get an error message?

Haha, yeah, I was considering that in determining how often I should reload the page. :biggrin:

Thank you Greg, everything seems to be running smooth again, good job!

Yes thanks, very quick fix.

Greg Bernhardt said:
yeah, I have about 1200 alert emails in my box right now
:bugeye: Ouch! Thanks for the speedy fix, though maybe it was entirely self-serving of you to put an end to the flood of alert emails :biggrin:...it does sound like an effective way to get an admin to respond to a problem pretty quickly! :rofl:

SpaceTiger said:
Haha, yeah, I was considering that in determining how often I should reload the page.
Hee hee, it was 1200 alert emails, but probably only 12 users who are completely addicted and will repeatedly lever press...erm...I mean hit refresh until it responds again. :rofl:

Yeah, about 300 of those were from me. :redface:

Tom Mattson said:
Yeah, about 300 of those were from me. :redface:
Impossible! :bugeye:

The lag is back, oh well it's past my bed time anyway. :zzz:

That was fixed pretty quick too.

Again happened to me and then solved quickly. But it's alittle annoying!:wink:

Last edited:
Seems there was a spike with traffic and the email server which double whammied the server. Should be ok now.

Well it doesn't last more than afew minutes whenever it happens. So I think it's not important.

1. What is a time out error and why does it occur?

A time out error occurs when there is a disruption in the communication between two devices or systems, resulting in one device not receiving a response from the other within a specific time frame. This can happen due to a poor connection, network congestion, or a malfunctioning component.

2. How can I troubleshoot a time out error?

The first step in troubleshooting a time out error is to check your internet connection and make sure it is stable. If the issue persists, try restarting your router or modem and see if that resolves the problem. You can also check for any updates or software patches for the devices or systems involved in the communication.

3. Can a time out error be caused by a faulty device?

Yes, a time out error can be caused by a faulty device. If one of the devices involved in the communication is malfunctioning or has a hardware issue, it can lead to a time out error. It is important to check all devices and components involved in the communication to identify the source of the problem.

4. Is there a way to prevent time out errors?

While it is not always possible to prevent time out errors, there are some steps you can take to minimize the occurrence. This includes ensuring a stable internet connection, regularly updating software and devices, and troubleshooting any potential issues immediately.

5. What are some common causes of a poor connection leading to a time out error?

A poor connection can be caused by various factors, including distance from the router, interference from other electronic devices, outdated software or drivers, and network congestion. It is important to identify the specific cause in order to effectively troubleshoot and resolve the issue.