Popularizing a property for n-bonacci numbers without publishing it?

In summary, this property can be derived from a known property or it is a known property to those experts in the field.
MevsEinstein
TL;DR Summary
I found a super cool property of n-bonacci numbers but it isn't really worth publishing. Ho do I make it known?
Hi PF!

Everyone knows that: $${\varphi }^2 - \varphi - 1 = 0$$ But guess what? $${\varphi}^3-2{\varphi}^2+1=0$$ Generalizing this for all n-bonacci numbers: $$x^{n+1}+1 = 2x^n$$ where ##x## is the n-bonacci number and ##n## is the degree of the polynomial that the n-bonacci number is a root of, i.e: ##x^n-x^{n-1}-...-x-1=0##. To prove this property, what we do is to use the fact that all the terms of lower degree than ##n## are in a geometric series with ratio ##x## and with a beginning term ##-1##: $$x^n-\frac{1-x^n}{1-x}=0$$$$x^n=\frac{1-x^n}{1-x}$$$$x^n-x^{n+1}=1-x^n$$$$[{2x^n=x^{n+1}+1}]$$ Now this is a very small property that isn't worth writing a paper on it (I think), but it's cool. Writing in Physics Forums is pretty good already, but how do I spread it quicker?

Last edited:
Likes KDunc
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Before you publish it, you might want to talk with a math prof. It may well be that your property is easily derived from a known property or it is a known property to those experts in the field.

Likes mfb
I'd say write a short paper about it in LaTeX with everything: introduction, history, your lemma and its proof and bibliography. It is good practice nevertheless.

• Informative
Likes MevsEinstein and berkeman
drmalawi said:
I'd say write a short paper about it in LaTeX with everything: introduction, history, your lemma and its proof and bibliography. It is good practice nevertheless.
Yeah I thought that since the paper would probably be too small I wouldn't be able to publish it. But maybe, who knows.

It’s quite straightforward to derive:
$$\varphi^2-\varphi-1=0\Rightarrow\varphi^2-\varphi=1$$
$$\therefore\varphi^3-2\varphi^2+1=\varphi^3-2\varphi^2+\varphi^2-\varphi=\varphi^3-\varphi^2-\varphi=0$$
Pull out a factor of ##\varphi## to get the original expression.

Likes malawi_glenn
TeethWhitener said:
$$\therefore\varphi^3-2\varphi^2+1=\varphi^3-2\varphi^2+\varphi^2-\varphi=\varphi^3-\varphi^2-\varphi=0$$
Where did you get ##\varphi^3-2\varphi^2+\varphi^2-\varphi = \varphi^3-2\varphi^2+1##? I don't understand this part.

It’s in the first line:
$$\varphi^2-\varphi=1$$

Likes malawi_glenn and MevsEinstein
If you can frame it in the right way, American Mathematical Monthly could be a good place to publish a "small" fact like this. I've come across many little bits and pieces published there as visual proofs or exercises in pedagogy, for example.

Likes malawi_glenn
MevsEinstein said:
Summary: I found a super cool property of n-bonacci numbers but it isn't really worth publishing. Ho do I make it known?

Hi PF!

Everyone knows that: $${\varphi }^2 - \varphi - 1 = 0$$ But guess what? $${\varphi}^3-2{\varphi}^2+1=0$$ Generalizing this for all n-bonacci numbers:
Be careful with terminology; we normally use Fibonacci number to refer to a term in the Fibonacci sequence 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8... thus the 6th Fibonacci number is 8. We generalise this to refer to the terms of the n-bonacci sequence as n-bonacci numbers, see http://oeis.org/wiki/N-bonacci_numbers.

The numbers ## x ## which are roots to the equation ## x^{n+1}+1 = 2x^n ## are called n-bonacci constants. This equation is well-known (often written in the form ## x + \frac 1 {x^n} = 2 ##); in fact we define the n-bonacci constant as the single root > 1 of ## x + \frac 1 {x^n} = 2 ##.

Also be very carful not to use the word series when you mean sequence.

Last edited:
Likes malawi_glenn
MevsEinstein said:
Where did you get ##\varphi^3-2\varphi^2+\varphi^2-\varphi = \varphi^3-2\varphi^2+1##? I don't understand this part.
They added ##\varphi^3-2\varphi^2## to both sides of the equation. Since they've added these terms to both sides, they cancel each other out, so they haven't changed the equation or relationship. As demonstrated, this can be a very useful tool to make the algebra a bit easier or to demonstrate a property that is not otherwise immediately obvious.

1. What are n-bonacci numbers?

N-bonacci numbers are a generalization of the well-known Fibonacci sequence, where each term is the sum of the previous n terms instead of just the previous two terms. For example, the 3-bonacci sequence would be 0, 1, 1, 2, 4, 7, 13, 24, ...

2. How can I popularize a property for n-bonacci numbers?

One way to popularize a property for n-bonacci numbers is by creating visual representations or demonstrations of the property. This can help people better understand the concept and make it more accessible. Additionally, sharing the property on social media or creating online tutorials can also help spread awareness.

3. Can I publish my property for n-bonacci numbers without formal research?

Yes, you can publish your property for n-bonacci numbers without formal research. However, it is important to ensure that your property is accurate and supported by evidence. You can also collaborate with other researchers or experts in the field to validate your findings.

4. How can I make my property for n-bonacci numbers more engaging?

One way to make your property for n-bonacci numbers more engaging is by relating it to real-life applications or examples. This can help people see the practical uses of the property and make it more interesting. You can also incorporate interactive elements, such as games or puzzles, to make it more interactive and engaging.

5. Is it necessary to popularize a property for n-bonacci numbers?

No, it is not necessary to popularize a property for n-bonacci numbers. However, sharing your findings with others can help contribute to the overall knowledge and understanding of n-bonacci numbers. It can also inspire others to explore and discover new properties or applications for n-bonacci numbers.