Portable Generator Remake Help

• Thread starter addisonElliot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary, the individual has an old rotating-armature 3-phase generator with a commutator that they are working on. They have drilled holes in the shaft and wrapped wire around bolts to create windings. They have also used a transformer to get the required voltage. However, there are some issues with the voltage readings and the use of a transformer with a DC generator. They have some questions about the use of transformers and the design of generators in general.
addisonElliot
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have an old generator that I have been working on. It is a rotating-armature 3-phase generator with a commutator. I tore everything off of the shaft because there was a short somewhere and I planned to remake the generator myself for a little learning experience.

The stator electromagnet seemed fine when I plugged it into a battery, so I left them alone. Then I drilled 12 holes in the shaft. I did this so there would be six "poles" to wrap wire around. I would then use the six poles to make three separate windings.

Anyways, I got the bolts glued into the holes at the perfect amount of length, they are very close to touching the electromagnet, but they never actually do. Just for a test run, I took a 60ft roll of 16awg wire and wrapped it around two bolts approximately 50-100 turns. I didn't count. I rigged up some slip rings and soldered the connections there, used a multimeter and it fluctuated between 0.01 to 0.14V. This sounds very wrong because the original wire that was wound was 12awg and I would say it had approximately the same amount of turns.

I found a transformer in the circuit and tested it out. I put a 120VAC connection on it in series with a light bulb(so it wouldn't short circuit) and it returned 0.07V with the leads one way, I then reversed the leads on the voltmeter and it showed 0.01-0.03V.

Anyways, that's a little background on my story. Here are some minor questions I have now. I would appreciate if you guys could help out.

Why do I get different voltages when I switch the leads with the voltmeter?
Wouldn't that much of a jump in voltage greatly decrease the current?
Whenever I diagnosed it in the beginning, the commutator outputted 1V and it is supposed to be 20V. I know transformers won't work with DC, so how does that jump up?

Do most generators use a transformer to get to 120VAC or 240VAC? I would think they would just wind the amount of turns needed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
addisonElliot said:
Do most generators use a transformer to get to 120VAC or 240VAC?
Use of a transformer with a generator is common. It it much easier to use a transformer to get the required voltage, than the alter the design of the generator.But your description is hard to follow. Why drill holes? Why the bolts? Are the wires insulated so that they do not short against the bolts?

1. What is a portable generator?

A portable generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy, providing a temporary source of power for various appliances and devices. It typically consists of an engine, alternator, and fuel tank, and can be moved from one location to another for convenience.

2. Why would I need a portable generator?

A portable generator can be useful in various situations, such as power outages, camping trips, outdoor events, or construction sites. It provides a backup power source when there is no access to electricity or when the main power source is unavailable.

3. How do I choose the right portable generator?

When choosing a portable generator, consider your power needs, the type of fuel it uses, its runtime and noise level, and any additional features you may require. It is also essential to check the generator's wattage and compare it to the power consumption of your appliances to ensure compatibility.

4. How do I maintain my portable generator?

To ensure your portable generator operates efficiently, regular maintenance is necessary. This includes checking and changing the oil, keeping the air filter clean, inspecting the spark plug, and storing it in a dry and well-ventilated area. It is also crucial to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and repairs.

5. Can I modify or repair my portable generator on my own?

It is not recommended to modify or repair a portable generator on your own, as it can be dangerous and may also void the warranty. It is best to consult a professional if you encounter any issues with your generator or if you want to make any modifications to it.