Position of a proton in Quantum mechanics.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum accuracy of a proton's position without changing its non-relativistic kinetic energy by more than 1 keV. It references Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and the equation for finding momentum, but it is suggested that the answer can be found using the fact that momentum must be greater than or equal to the uncertainty in momentum. It is concluded that the minimum uncertainty in position is inversely proportional to the square root of the product of the proton's mass and the change in energy.
Skullmonkee

Homework Statement

Find the maximum accuracy that can be found to a proton's position without changing it's (not-realativistic) kinetic energy by more that 1 keV

I think this involves Heisenberg's uncertainty principle [tex]\Delta x\Delta p=hbar/2[/tex] but I am not sure at all.

Now to find the momentum p of a non-realativistic kinetic energy we can use [tex]E(kinetic) = 1/2mv^2 = p^2/2m[/tex]
which gives [tex]p = \sqrt{}2mE[/tex]
however this is as far as i got.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, professors expect you to realize that [tex]p\ge\Delta p[/tex]. Use this and see whether the answer matches!

That is, use that
[tex]p\Delta p=m\Delta E[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \Delta p\le\sqrt{m\Delta E}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \Delta x\ge \frac{\hbar}{2\sqrt{m\Delta E}}[/tex]

What is a proton?

A proton is a subatomic particle that is found in the nucleus of an atom. It has a positive charge and is approximately 1,836 times more massive than an electron.

What is its position in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the position of a proton is described by a probability distribution rather than a specific location. This is due to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

How is its position determined?

The position of a proton is determined through experiments and mathematical models. Scientists use tools such as particle accelerators and detectors to observe and track the movement of protons.

Can the position of a proton be changed?

Yes, the position of a proton can change through interactions with other particles or forces. In quantum mechanics, the position of a particle is constantly changing due to its wave-like nature.

Why is the position of a proton important?

The position of a proton is important because it helps us understand the structure and behavior of atoms and molecules. It also plays a crucial role in chemical reactions and the formation of matter in the universe.