1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position vector with ratio?

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use vectors to find the position vector of point P if P divides AB in the ratio 3:2 given A (-1,6,4) and B (4,1,-1)

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I assume it's sort of like finding the midpoint, except I would do something like (-1+4)/1.5 etc.

Am I correct? Do I just divide the sum of the numbers by 3/2 hence the ratio? or am I going about this the wrong way?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

Point P is 3/5 the way along from A to B. When you divide something in the ratio 3:2, one part will be 3/5 of the total and the other will be 2/5 of the total.

It shouldn't be too hard to find that point.
    Assuming for the moment that the coordinates of P are (x, y, z), the position vector of point P will be the vector (x - (-1), y - 6, z - 4). This vector has the same direction as AP and the same magnitude.
  4. Feb 7, 2009 #3
    Is this a descent answer?

If AP:PB=3:2 then AP:AB=3:(3+2)=3:5
    P = A + (B-A)*3/5
    P = (-1,6,4)+(5,-5,-5)*3/5
    P = (-1,6,4)+(3,-3,-3)
    P = (2,3,1)

Am I correct? Can anybody clarify?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?