When Will Two Planes Pass Each Other on a Transcontinental Flight?

In summary, two planes, one traveling from San Francisco to New York at 1100 km/h and the other traveling from New York to San Francisco at 700 km/h, pass each other when they have traveled a combined distance of 4600 km. This can be calculated by considering the combined speed of the two planes or by using a ratio of their speeds to determine the distance traveled before they meet. One of these methods can be used to find the time at which the two planes pass each other.
torresmido

Homework Statement

A plane takes off from San Francisco to New york (4600km) at 1100km/h. At the same time, another plane takes off from New York to San Franscisco at 700km/h. When do the two planes pass each other?

Can you please help me in this problem?
I tried finding the psosition function of the two planes and equating them in order to find the time, but I found the time negative, which doesn't make much sense.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you could go about this in a couple of different ways.

Firstly, there are two planes which must travel a combined distance of 4600 Km, you could consider one plane traveling that same distance at 1100 + 700 = 1800 Km/h. That would give you the time until they meet.

Secondly, you could consider their speeds to be a ratio of the distances they travel. For example, plane A travels 1100 / (1100 + 700) of the distance before meeting plane B. You can multiply that fraction by 4600 to calculate the distance, then based on it's speed calculate the time it would take. Similarly plane B travels 700 / (1100 + 700) of the distance.

Thanks a lot...YOU SAVED MY LIFE...I got everything you said ;)

Happy to help. :smile:

1. What is position in physics?

Position in physics refers to the location of an object in space. It is typically measured relative to a reference point or origin.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. What is the relationship between position, velocity, and time?

The relationship between position, velocity, and time is described by the fundamental equation of kinematics: position = initial position + velocity * time. This equation shows how an object's position changes over time as a result of its velocity.

4. How do you plot a position-time graph?

To plot a position-time graph, you would plot the object's position on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The resulting graph would show how the object's position changes over time.

5. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity is more specific and can vary throughout the object's motion.