1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position, velcity, and time

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A plane takes off from San Francisco to New york (4600km) at 1100km/h. At the same time, another plane takes off from New York to San Franscisco at 700km/h. When do the two planes pass each other?

Can you please help me in this problem?
    I tried finding the psosition function of the two planes and equating them in order to find the time, but I found the time negative, which doesn't make much sense.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2008 #2
    Well, you could go about this in a couple of different ways.

Firstly, there are two planes which must travel a combined distance of 4600 Km, you could consider one plane travelling that same distance at 1100 + 700 = 1800 Km/h. That would give you the time until they meet.

Secondly, you could consider their speeds to be a ratio of the distances they travel. For example, plane A travels 1100 / (1100 + 700) of the distance before meeting plane B. You can multiply that fraction by 4600 to calculate the distance, then based on it's speed calculate the time it would take. Similarly plane B travels 700 / (1100 + 700) of the distance.

4. Feb 10, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot...YOU SAVED MY LIFE.....I got everything you said ;)

5. Feb 10, 2008 #4
    Happy to help. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?